Kadhri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple Timings: 5.30 am to 1.00 pm and 4.30 pm to 8.45 pm
Temple Timings in Details:
Nivedhana between 5.30 am to 6.00 am
Dharshanam between 6.00 am to 7.30 am
Abhishekam between 7.30 am to 9.30 am
Dharshanam between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm
Nivedhana and Temple Closing 12.30 pm to 1.00 pm
Dharshanam between 4.30 pm to 6.30 pm
Nivedhana between 6.30 pm To 7 pm
Dharshanam between 7.00 pm To 8.30 pm
Ekhanthaseva and Temple Closing 8.30 pm 8.45 pm
Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple at Kadiri is one of the most popular temples in the Rayala Seema which ranks at an equally important position like the great Tirupati Sri Venkateswara Swamy temple. As per scriptures, it was at Stotradri hill where the devas worshipped the Lord Narasimha after he killed the demon king Hiranyakasipu in the Durgam in Godduvelagala village located very near to Kadiri town.
The word Khadri denotes a hilly place which represents the feet of Vishnu. It is also believed that the town got its name after the Khadri tree under which the idol of the Narasimha Swamy was found. There are several legends associated with the place of Kadiri. Sage Vedavyasa was said to have taught lessons to his disciples at this place without the knowledge of asuras and hence the place became known as Kedaranyam. The town was earlier a jungle under the Poligar of Patnam and subsequently the Poligar cleared the jungle and built a temple on the site. The temple was named after Khadri tree under which the idol of Narasimha Swamy was found. It is also believed that the main image in this temple was made of wood, similar to that in Puri Jagannadh Temple in Orissa, and it is housed on the branch of Chandra Tree. There is another belief that the deity is self-manifested.
Sri Narasimha Swamy’s image is in human form with Lion’s Head. It is covered with silver armor and adorned with silver shoulder blades and is in the posture of tearing the stomach of demon king Hiranyakasipu. The image of the deity used in procession is a metallic idol of Lord Vishnu with Bhudevi and Sridevi on either side.
According to legends, Lord Narasimhaswamy himself handed over the idols to Bhrigu Rishi for his daily worship. Since the installation of the images was done in the spring season, the Lord is also worshipped by the names of Vasantha Vallabhudu or Vasantha Madhavulu. There is a river named Maddileru, which is also known as the Arjuna River, and it was on its banks where Arjuna performed penance. The river flows through 8 theerthams which are: Swetapushkarini, Bhrugu Theertham, Sesha Theertham, Kunti Theertham, Laxmin Theertham, Ganga Theertham, Garuda Theertham and Bhavanasi Theertham.
The temple is constructed in a high walled compound of 500 ft square. There are 4 entrances and a gopuram at each entrance. The Yagnamantapam comprises of stone sculpture enriched with lions. The temple faces east and the important structures within the compound include a Kalyanamandapam, Yagasala, a pakasala, and an astana mandapam where the procession deity of the lord is positioned during the festival. There is an 80 ft square pushkarini in the north east corner in the temple compound and to the south of the temple is the shrine of Chinnamma with a stone image.
Most of the inscriptions in the temple are related to the Vijayanagara period and they are in Telugu language, except a few. As per one inscription on the south wall of the arthamantapuram, the temple was built by a Nayaka during the rule of Bukka-I in saka 1274 (1332 AD). Another inscription dated the next year states that a jewel was gifted to the deity by a person named Gopanna, who was an officer under Kempanna Odeyar, who renovated the Srirangam temple and was the contemporary of Vedanta Desikar. A stone slab has an inscription regarding this custom which still continues. Another inscription reveals that in the Salivahana Saka 1451 (1529 A.D.) it was the palegar of Tadipatri who constructed the Vasanta mandapam adjacent to the prakaram (presently called as the thousand pillar mandapam) where food is served. The Khadri Sthalapuranam in Brahmanda Puranam describes much about the past history, greatness and importance of the temple. There is an intricately carved temple car, which is believed to be the heaviest of its kind in South India. In the car streets, there are number of small mantapams, each supported on four tall pillars, where the deity is placed and worshipped during festivals.
The famous Rajagopurams in the East, West South and North of this temple were constructed by Vijayanagara Emperors, an unknown devotee named Chinnamma, and Kokanti Poligar. In the western side of Rajagopuram there is a gateway that leads to a water tank which provides water to the temple. It is believed that it was from this place where Sage Brigu recovered the main metallic idols of the temple. Sri Krishna Devaraya, the popular king of Vijaya Nagara and the renowned Maharashtra King Shivaji Maharaj visited this famous temple and constructed the sub-temples and Mahishasuramardini Temple.
Kadiri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple Address:
Sreemath Khadri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple,
Andhra Pradesh – 515591.
Office Phone:08494 – 221066, 221366
Enquiry: 08494 – 223218