Akshaya Tritiya, also known as Akha Teej, which falls on Shukla Paksha Tritiya in the month of Vaishakha is considered to be a highly auspicious and holy day for Hindu community. If Akshaya Tritiya falls on Rohini Nakshatra on Wednesday, it is considered very auspicious. The word Akshaya means “never diminishing”. Accordingly, the benefits of performing any sacred act like Dan-Punya, Yajna, Japa, Pitra-Tarpan, etc., on this day never diminish and will continue with the person forever.
It is believed that Akshaya Tritiya brings good luck and success. People choose this day to purchase Gold because it is believed that Gold bought on this day will never diminish and will bring prosperity and more wealth in coming future.
The day of Akshaya Tritiya is ruled by Lord Vishnu, the preserver God in Hindu Trinity. As per Hindu scriptures, Treta Yuga began on the day of Akshaya Tritiya. Usually Akshaya Tritiya and Parashurama Jayanti occur on the same day, but sometimes, depending on the time of Tritiya Tithi, Parashurama Jayanti may occur one day before Akshaya Tritiya.
Vedic astrologers mention Askshay Tritiya as a highly auspicious day free from all malefic effects. As per Hindu Astrology, the three lunar days, Yugadi, Akshaya Tritiya and Vijay Dashami are free from all malefic effects and hence they don’t need any Muhurta to do any auspicious work.
Importance of Akshaya Tritiya:
1. Both, the sixth avatar of Sri Vishnu, Bhagwan Parshuram and the avatar of Goddess Parvati devi, Devi Annapoorna were born on Akshaya Tritiya day. Many times Parshuram Jayanti and Akshay Tritya falls on the same day.
2. Considered to be free from all evil and disastrous vibes and forces, Akshaya Tritiya is a day that requires no Good Timings i.e. Shubh Muhurat for beginning, doing or attempting anything new or auspicious.
3. The Hindu epic, Mahabharata, was also started to write by Ved Vyasa and Lord Ganesha on Akshaya Tritiya.
4. From the Heavens the river Ganges or Maa Ganga descended to Earth on Akshaya Tritiya and the Treta Yuga begun on Akshaya Tritiya.
5. As Akshaya Tritiya indicates never-ending prosperity and auspiciousness; people purchase Gold jewelry, start a new venture or business, buy a new home or office, etc. on this auspicious day.