Sri Parasu Rameswara Swamy Temple, Gudimallam.
Temple Timings : 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Temple Distance from Tirupati RTC Bus Depot: 30 kms
Gudimallam is yet another historical monument located in Sri Kalahasti Mandal in Chittoor district. The temple is about 7 miles away from Renigunta Railway Station Junction. The significance of the temple lies in the Lings that is housed in the Garbagriha of the temple. The Linga is said to have been discovered in the 1st century or the 2nd century BC.
The Linga depicts the true nature of a Shiva linga, with the human form carved well within the limits of the linga. The floor of the sanctum is at a low level compared to the floor level of the Antarala and Mukhamantapa. There is also an interesting tale to tell that Gudimallam Shivalingam is believed to be a manifestation of the Trimurtis, with Brahma at the bottom, Vishnu in the middle and Shiva on top.
Text curved on the marble by archaeological survey of india at Sri Parasu Rameswara Swamy Temple, Gudimallam.
Renowned for its earliest extant Sivalinga in India datable to second/ Third centuries B.C. The main Temple consists an apsidal shrine in low level with ardha mandapa and mahamandapa in front, all facing east and each higher than the previous one. The main entrance to the shrine is, however, from the south side of maha mandapa when the wall enclosure is added by an ornamental pillared porch (Dwarapala). The main shrine is closed all round externally by a peristylar cloister, The vimana over the shrine is of brick, hollow inside and is apsidal on plan in elevation resembling a linga nut hence termed as lingakruti vimana. The sanctom has a false ceiling over wooden joints. A dew shrine is added at North-West corner other minor shrines with in the prakara include kartikeya and Cubramanaya. A plain gopuram is provided at the western entrence of the compound wall. The stone temple complex is in late pallava / Bana and Chola Style and good number of inscribed records speak of the perpetual gifts made by the kings, The earliest belonging to the bana’s (A Fendatory Royal family under the later Pallava’s, Circa 842-904 centuries A.D) and latest of the time of Yadava Devaraya (A.D. 1346).Inscription of the tome of vikramachola refers to complete rebuilding of the temple in 1126 A.D. along with gopuram and the well.
The Linga on its frontal facet a relief figure standing Siva. He has two hands, The right one holds a ram by the hind legs, Head hanging downwards.In the left a globular pot is held and a battle axe (Parasu) rests in the left shoulder. The linga is fixed with in two stone ring during the earliest phase inside the sanctum which served as arghapitha. The standing form of the god reveals vedic and proto puranic concepts of rudra. He is shown standing on the shoulders of a crouching dwarf yaksha whose features ate unique. He is seated on the knees body shrunked and light teethed.
Sri Parasurameswara Temple,
Tirupati Rural, Chittoor (Dst.),