1 March 2015 Tirumala:
TTD has started the five days annual Theppotsavam at Tirumala Sri Venkateswara Temple, on Sunday. The processional deities of Sri Rama, Sri Lakshmana, Sri Sita mata and Sri Hanuman, have been taken across the four mada streets encircling the holy shire in a grand procession before reaching the Sri Vari Pushkarini the temple tank. Later, the deities were mounted on the colorfully illuminated Float, and were dragged around the Pushkarini amidst great religious fervor between 7.00 PM and 8.00 PM. Thousands of devotees and pilgrims gathered on the holy steps in advance to enjoy the colorful festival at the temple tank. While asthana vidwans played the nadaswaram’ the temple priests recited verses from the holy scriptures. The entire programme lasted for more than one hour.
Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams EO Dr D.Sambasiva Rao, Addl CV&SO Mr.Sivakumar Reddy, Suptd Engineer Mr.Ramesh Reddy, DyEO(Temple) Mr.Chinnamgari Ramana, Peishkar Mr.Selvam and devotees took part in the holy colorful event.
THE IMPORTANCE OF TEPPOTSAVAMS
- Teppa Utsavam or Plavotsavam is the float festival which is usually observed for Five days in Srivari Pushkarani (temple tank), in Tirumala Temple every year.
- It is an annual festival being celebrated in the month of Paluguna (March/April) on the days of Ekadasi, Dwadasi, Trayodasi, Chaturdasi and Pournami(Full Moon Day).
- This year 2015, Srivari Teppotsavam (Float Festival) is celebrated from 1st March 2015 to 5th March 2015.
- The earliest inscription relates to the year 1468 A.D. says that Sriman Maha Mandaleswara Medini Misraganda Kathhari Saluva Narasimha Raju Udayar”, the Son of one “Saluva Gundaya Deva Maharaja Udayar”, built a Vasanta Mantapam in the middle of Swami Pushkarani Teertha.
- Even today it is this mandapam from where the Teppa Utsavam starts.
- Earlier this festival was celebrated for nine days. But now it is being observed for five days starting from Ekadasi and concluding on Pournami.
Significance of Teppa Utsavam (Float Festival):
On every day the processional deities will be taken around the four mada streets(temple streets) encircling the holy shrine in grand procession before reaching the Srivari Pushkarani (Temple Tank). The deities are mounted on the colourful illuminated float boat.
On the first day the processional deities of Lord Sri Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Anjaneya are taken round the Pushkarani Teertha in three rounds seated in well decorated float.
On the second day, Lord Sri Krishna and Goddess Rukmini Devi are taken round the Pushakarani Teertha to give darshan to the myriads of devotees in three rounds.
On the Third, Fourth and Fifth days, Lord Sri Malayappa Swamy along with his consorts Goddess Sridevi and Goddess Bhudevi, seated in the float go round on all sides of the temple tank in three, five and seven rounds respectively.
The Teppa Utsavam(Float Festival/Plavotsavam) is celebrated as an Arjitha Seva. Pilgrims shall participate in this utsavam by purchasing the tickets and after this festival arjitha seva ticket holders have the darshan of Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy, inside the tirumala temple.
Srivari Teppotsavam (Float) Festival Timings:
The Floating festival begins at 7:00 in the evening for all five days in Srivari Pushkaram at Tirumala .
- Sahasra Deepalankarana Seva will be cancel for the first two days i.e. on 1st, and 2nd of March by the TTD.
- Arjitha Brahmotsavam, Vasanthotsavam and Sahasra Deepalankarana Sevas will also be cancelled for the next three days i.e. from 3rd to 5th March.
- On 5th March 5 monthly Pournami Garuda Vahana Seva is also cancelled by the TTD connection with Srivari Annual Float Festival in Tirumala.
photo from ttd