Janmashtami is observed with lots of gaiety and happiness all over India. Special pujas are performed both in homes as well as in temples. The entire day is devoted to remembering and singing a song of praise to Lord Krishna. The devotees welcome and celebrate the birth of their favorite God with a lot of fervor.
There are certain special items required for Krishnashtami puja. Important puja items are listed below:
- Lord Krishna’s idol with cradle and conch
- New clothes, flute and ornaments for Lord Krishna
- Pooja thali containing a bell, Diya, rice, elaichi (cardamom), supari, paan leaves, roli, a small container filled with water, sindoor, incense sticks, flowers and ghee.
- For Panchamrit -milk, curd, gangajal, honey and ghee.
- A book containing Shri Krishna’s Arti.
The list of items may vary according to puja process performed by different people.
Sri Krishna Aarti:
Aaratii Yugala Kishora Kii Kiijai
Tana Mana Dhana Sab Arpana Kiijai
Ravi Shashi Koti Vadana Kii Shobhaa
Taahi Nirakha Meraa Mana Lobhaa
Gaura Shyaama Mukha Nikhrata Riijhai
Prabhu Ko Ruupa Nayana Bhara Pijai
Kanchanna Thaala Kapuura Kii Baatii
Hari Aaye Nirmala Bahii Chaatii
Phuulana Kii Seja Phuulana Kii Maalaa
Ratna Sinhaasana Baithe Nandalaalaa
Mora Mukuta Kara Muralii Sohai
Natavara Vesha Dekha Mana Mohai
Anga Niila Piita Pata Saarii
Kunja Bihaarii Giravaradhaarii
Shri Purushottama Girivara Dhaarii
Aaratii Karata Sakala Nar Naarii
Nanda Nandana Vrushahaanu Kishorii
Paramaananda Svaamii Avichala Jodii