This year Sheetala Saptami falls on Thursday 24 March.
Sheetala Saptami is observed on Saptami tithi at Chaitra Masa Krishna Paksha as per the North Indian calendar while in South India it is observed on Saptami tithi Phalguna masa Krishna Paksha. In this, the goddess Sheetala Mata is worshipped. Worshiping her is believed to ward off diseases such as chickenpox and smallpox. In the southern states, Goddess Sheetala Mata is worshiped as Goddess Poleramma. The meaning of Sheetala Saptami is mentioned in the Skanda Purana. Sheetala means cool.
Things to do on Sheetala Saptami Day:
- Wake up early morning and take a bath.
- Wear fresh and neat clothes
- Visit any Sheetala Mata or Poleramma temples and offer Naivedyam to Goddess
- Reading or listening to Sheetala Mata Vrat Katha is very important
- Those who observe must maintain celibacy
- Eating hot food is strictly prohibited on this day
- Women fast for the welfare of their children