Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple Timings:
Morning: 6.00 AM to 12.30 PM.
Evening: 5.30 PM to 11.00 PM.
Daily Prayer Timings:(Subject To Changes On Special Festival Pooja)
6.00 AM – Temple Opens
6.15 AM – Thiruppalliyezhuchi
6.30 AM – Padithara Abhishegam To Lord Vinayagar
7.00 AM – Nithya Pooja
12.00 Noon – Uthchikala Pooja
12.30 PM – Temple Closes
5.30 PM – Temple Opens
6.30 PM – Nithya Pooja
9.00 PM – Arthasaama Pooja
11.00 PM – Temple Closes
Note: Evening Pooja starts at 7.00 PM on Special Days and Fridays.
Pirasadha Poojai Schedule and Price: (Singapore Dollar)
Breakfast (Friday & Sunday) – 201.00
Lunch (Sunday only) – 501.00
Dinner (Friday only) – 501.00
Mothagam / Sweet / Asoka – 21.00 / Tray
Vadai / Kesari / Tamarind Rice / Kadalai – 15.00 per Tray
Temple Dress Code:
Shirt, Kurtha, Veshti, Trousers Traditional head wear is allowed.
Caps and hats of are not allowed.
Traditional sarees with blouse, Punjabi kurtha with pyjama and dupatta are allowed, Working dresses of ankle length are also allowed.
The history of Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple dates back to 1850’s, when an idol of Lord Vinayagar was discovered by the side of a pond. A Chempaka tree (Senpaga) that stood on the bank of the pond showed the recognizing element to the Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple. The word “Sri” is a respectful prefix. It was Mr. Ethirnayagam Pillai, a Ceylon Tamil, who established the building of the first structure, which was a modest shelter with an attap roof, with the assistance of Indian workers. This shelter under the Chempaka tree became the Sri Senpaga Vinayagar temple.
Appointment of Priest:
In 1909, there were about 300 families of Ceylon Tamils in Singapore and they formed the Singapore Ceylon Tamils’ Association (SCTA). In 1913, a Management Committee consisting four persons was formed to renovate the temple premises for the ever growing number of devotees. In 1923, the SCTA purchased the land, where the Temple stands today. A bigger Temple was subsequently developed with a priest (a pandaram) to perform poojas and other religious rituals.
In 1923, the SCTA began to manage the temple officially. Since then, the Temple Committee was elected from among the members of the SCTA. In the next year, it was decided to upgrade the Temple. Mr S Muthukumaru was the Chairman of the Committee, and in 1926 the future plans were formulated and a sculptor was appointed. Subsequently, the concrete building of the temple was completed in the year 1929.
First Consecration Ceremony:
Substantial donations from several people including the Chairman and many prominent personalities and devotees helped in the development of many new shrines within the temple premises, including shrines for Lord Shiva, Goddess Ambal, Lord Subramaniam, Lord Vairavar and Lord Nageswarar. On 3rd February, 1930 a major Consecration called Maha Kumbhabishegam of the Temple was held for the first time.
After 2ND World War:
The Temple suffered damage due to a bomb explosion during the Second World War. Restoration began in 1949 under the Chairmanship of Dr. P. Thillainathan and six years later on 7th July, 1955, devotees witnessed another Consecration Ceremony. Due to periodic upgrading of the Temple, new facilities were added, such as new halls, a perimeter wall, classrooms, kitchens, wedding platform, and a library. On 8th November, 1989, Mr. S. Rajaratnam, the then Senior Minister, declared open a three storey extension comprising an air-conditioned wedding hall and dining hall.
About the New Temple:
Later, concrete pieces started falling from the Temple ceiling and cracks appeared on its walls. With the prompt action of SCTA, an Annual General Meeting was held in 1998, and a resolution was passed to appoint Dr R Theyvendran, PBM as the Project Chairman for the reconstruction of the Temple. Though he was not an expert in this field, he accepted the challenge and utilized his entrepreneurial skills. He got efficient support from Mr. S. M. Vasagar, ex-Chairman and the then Advisor; Mr. S. Moganaruban, PBM, the Temple Management Committee Chairman, its devoted members and a large team of well-wishers and devotees.
Senpaga Vinayagar Temple Address:
Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple,
19 Ceylon Road,
Singapore – 429620.
Phone: +65 6345 8176