Homam or havan is the offering of different types of poojas to several deities for fulfilling the desire to receive the power of Agni, the fire of God. These are made to bring peace, prosperity and success in homes or offices. Vastu Homam is one of those sacrifice performed, usually before moving to a new home or office. It is a ritual dedicated to the gods of the direction. These are: Indra (east), Agni (southeast), Yama (south), Pitru (southwest), Varuna (west), Vayu (northwest), Kuber (north) and Brahma (center). Each god is a symbol of such things as fire, thunder, peace, prosperity, and so on.
The Vastu Puja is the origin of the long back:
Vastu is the modern science of construction. It is a term used in Hindu architecture, where it is thought that alignment, orientations and designs play an important role in integrating quality energy into a building. It is said that this pooja was created by a mythical sage called Mamuni Maya. The legend of Vastu Purusha says that once Brahma and other gods have blocked a form without form, it is represented graphically in the Mandala of Vastu Purusha. From this diagram, the positions of several elements of the Earth have been distributed concentrically. In this model, Lord Brahma has gained the central position.
Vastu Homam Puja Vidhi / Procedure:
The puja procedure is quite long, but a priest is not always necessary for that. You can complete the entire puja by following the step-by-step procedure. You must first make a small offer outside the house:
1) Ganesh Puja- Take a plate and rice and chant the name mantra of Ganesh and whichever deity you follow. Offer flowers, akshata and green grass. Then do the tilaklight incense sticks, droop, deep and offer it to Lord Ganesha. Then offer food to Lord Ganesha.
2) Preparing Kalash- Put rice on a plate and put the kalash on top. Fill the kalash with 4/5 water and put some seeds, grass and corn in it. Place 5-7 mango or bettle leaves spread out like a lotus inside. Wrap a red cloth around a coconut, and place it on top. Put 5 coins inside. Wrap around a thread around the neck of the Kalash by twisting it around 1-2 times. Now chant names of Ganesha and conduct Kalash Puja.
3) The Swastik- Draw a Swastik symbol on top of your entrance with Kum kum.
4) Use panch amrita to wash your door, and draw another Swastik there.
5) Write Subha- Labha in any language along with the Swastik symbol.
6) Take some curd in a spoon and offer it to the door columns on both sides.
7) Take three lemons and move it in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions three times each and keep them aside.
8) You have to break open a coconut and place it at the entrance of the house.
9) The master of the house has to take the Ganesha idol in his hands and chant names. The woman then follows with the vesel. Both of them should put their right foot forward while entering the house.
How to Perform Vastu Puja inside the House:
1) At the south-east corner, place a red cloth with rice and pile up a little rice on top of it.
2) Place the cow idol first and then the Ganesha idol. Put the Kalash and chant mantras.
3) Light agarbati, lamp, kapoor and offer food to the Lord.
Offer akshata and flowers and chant Ganesha names while you worship the Kalash.
4) Do arti of Ganesha and offer it to all corners of the house.
5) Cut lemon halves or break coconuts at each doorstep of the house.
6) The lady will then worship kitchen and tilak the stove and water taps, boil milk in a new vessel till it spills and, tie threads around all pillars of the house.
7) Then she has to stick a white paper outside the main door of the house with hand impression on it using tilak.
8) Mix cow dung, ghee and curd, cow urine, milk, and scatter them in the house.
You have to stay for three nights in the new house after the puja.
Vastu Shanti Puja Benefits:
Vastu Shanti Puja has many benefits in the life of the individual by eliminating all health and wealth problems. It also eliminates the negative effects due to the bad position of the planets. In addition, it helps to maintain good relationships within the family.
It will also eliminate the bad effects or curses in the individual’s life. Performing Vastu Shanti Puja will give inner peace and happiness to all members of the family and help lead a happy and peaceful life.
It also purifies every nooks and corner of the house. This contributes to the stability of life and peace of mind. This puja fills the house with peace and happiness. This puja eliminates the negative effects of Vastu Doshas on a particular building, plot or house. This will remove all obstacles in the life of the individual.
The Preceding Gods of each Direction:
East- Indra- Ruled by the solar deity- Aditya (Seeing the world)
Southeast- Agni- Ruled by the fire deity – Agni (Energy Generating).
South- Yama- Ruled by lord of death – Yama (Damaging).
Southwest- Pitru/Nairutya, Niruthi- Ruled by ancestors (History).
West- Varuna- Ruled by lord of water (Physical).
Northwest- Vayu- ruled by the god of winds (Advertisement).
North- Kubera- Ruled by lord of wealth (Finance).
Center- Brahma- Ruled by the creator of the universe (Desire).
Materials Required for Vastu Shanti Puja:
1) Turmeric powder – 1 pack
2) Kumkum – 1 Packet
3) Sandalwood Paste / Powder – 1 Packet
4) Incesense sticks – 1 Packet
5) Camphor – 1 Packet
6) Beetle Leaves and Nuts – Approximately 30 leaves
7) Flowers – 4 Bunches
8) Fruits – 12 Bananas and 5 variety of fruits
9) Coconuts – 5 nos
10) Rice – 5 kg.
11) Kalasa vastram – 1 Towel or 1 Blouse Piece
12) Coins (Quarters) – 20
13) Brown Sugar – 1 Packet
14) Rice poha (Beaten rice) – 1 Packet
15) Ghee – 500 grams
16) Pumpkins – 1 nos
17) Lemon – 4 nos
18) Dates – 1 Packet
19) New Vessel for cooking – 1
20) Milk – 4 litres
21) Sugar – 1 Packet
22) Naivedyam – Devotees choice
23) Sugar candy (Kalakanda) – 1 Packet
24) Honey – 1 Bottle
25) Dry Coconut (Kopra) – 4 nos
26) Swami Photos (Inti Divam)
27) Deepam (Lamp)
29) Match box 1
30) Cotton Wicks
32) Panchapatra and Uddhrini
33) Small trays 2 nos
34) Big trays 2 nos
35) Small cups 5 nos
36) Asirvada new dresses
37) Blankets 2 Nos
38) Paper napkins and Paper Plates sufficient.
39) Aluminium Foil
40) Knife 1
Navadhanya in English, Tamil, Telugu and Kannada:
English: Wheat, Rice, Thoor Dal, Moong Dal, Chana Dal, Rajma (White), Sesame
Kannada: Godi, Akki, Thogari Bele, Hesaru Bele, Kaddale, Avara Bele, Yellu, Uddin Bele, Hurli.
Telugu: Godumulu, Beeyamu, Kandi Pappu, Pesaru Pappu, Senagalu, Chikudu Pappu, Nuvullu, Nalla Minumulu, Ullavalu.
Tamil: Goduma, Arisi, thuvarai, Pasi Paruppu, Kondai Kadalai, Mochha Kottai, Yellu, Ulutham paruppu, Kollu.
2 Red 75 cm Cloth
2 White 75 cm Cloth
1 Green 75 cm Cloth
1 Yellow 75 cm Cloth
1 Blue 75 cm Cloth
1 Black 75 cm Cloth
1 Printed 75 cm Cloth