Bhaja Govindam Slokam in English
bhaja govindam bhaja govindam
govindam bhaja mudhamate |
samprapte sannihite kale
nahi nahi raksati dukrinkarane || 1 ||
mudha jahihi dhanagamatrsnam
kuru sadbuddhim manasi vitrsnam |
yallabhase nija karmopattam
vittam tena vinodaya cittam || 2 ||
nari stanabhara nabhidesam
drsṭva ma ga mohavesam |
etanmamsa vasadi vikaram
manasi vicintaya varam varam || 3 ||
naḷini daḷagata jalamati taraḷam
tadvajjivita matisaya capalam |
viddhi vyadhyabhimana grastam
lokam sokahatam ca samastam || 4 ||
tavan-nijaparivaro raktah |
pascajjivati jarjara dehe
vartam koஉpi na prcchati gehe || 5 ||
yavat-pavano nivasati dehe
tavat-prcchati kusalam gehe |
gatavati vayau dehapaye
bharya bibhyati tasmin kaye || 6 ||
bala stavat kridasaktah
taruna stavat tarunisaktah |
parame brahmani koஉpi na lagnah || 7 ||
ka te kanta kaste putrah
samsaroஉyamativa vicitrah |
kasya tvam va kuta ayatah
tatvam cintaya tadiha bhratah || 8 ||
nissangatve nirmohatvam |
niscalatattve jivanmuktih || 9 ||
vayasi gate kah kamavikarah
suske nire kah kasarah |
ksine vitte kah parivarah
nñate tattve kah samsarah || 10 ||
ma kuru dhanajana yauvana garvam
harati nimesat-kalah sarvam |
brahmapadam tvam pravisa viditva || 11 ||
dina yaminyau sayam pratah
sisira vasantau punarayatah |
kalah kridati gacchatyayuh
tadapi na muñcatyasavayuh || 12 ||
dvadasa mañjarikabhira sesah
kathito vaiya karanasyaisah |
upadeso bhud-vidya nipunaih
srimacchankara bhagavaccharanaih || 13 ||
ka te kanta dhana gata cinta
vatula kim tava nasti niyanta |
trijagati sajjana sangatireka
bhavati bhavarnava tarane nauka || 14 ||
jaṭilo mundi luñjita kesah
kasayanbara bahukrta vesah |
pasyannapi ca na pasyati mudhah
udara nimittam bahukrta vesah || 15 ||
angam galitam palitam mundam
dasana vihinam jatam tundam |
vrddho yati grhitva dandam
tadapi na muñcatyasa pindam || 16 ||
agre vahnih prsṭhe bhanuh
ratrau cubuka samarpita januh |
karatala bhiksas-tarutala vasah
tadapi na muñcatyasa pasah || 17 ||
kurute ganga sagara gamanam
vrata paripalanam-athava danam |
nñana vihinah sarvamatena
bhajati na muktim janma satena || 18 ||
suramandira taru mula nivasah
sayya bhutalam-ajinam vasah |
sarva parigraha bhogatyagah
kasya sukham na karoti viragah || 19 ||
yogarato va bhogarato va
sangarato va sangavihinah |
yasya brahmani ramate cittam
nandati nandati nandatyeva || 20 ||
ganga jalalava kanika pita |
sakrdapi yena murari samarca
kriyate tasya yamena na carca || 21 ||
punarapi jananam punarapi maranam
punarapi janani jaṭhare sayanam |
iha samsare bahu dustare
krpayaஉpare pahi murare || 22 ||
rathya carpaṭa viracita kanthah
punyapunya vivarjita panthah |
yogi yoga niyojita cittah
ramate balonmattavadeva || 23 ||
kastvam koஉham kuta ayatah
ka me janani ko me tatah |
iti paribhavaya nija samsaram
sarvam tyaktva svapna vicaram || 24 ||
tvayi mayi sarvatraiko visnuh
vyartham kupyasi mayyasahisnuh |
bhava samacittah sarvatra tvam
vañchasyacirad-yadi visnutvam || 25 ||
satrau mitre putre bandhau
ma kuru yatnam vigraha sandhau |
sarvatrot-srja bhedanñanam || 26 ||
kamam krodham lobham moham
tyaktvaஉஉtmanam pasyati soஉham |
atmanñnana vihina mudhah
te pacyante naraka nigudhah || 27 ||
geyam gita nama sahasram
dhyeyam sripati rupam-ajasram |
neyam sajjana sange cittam
deyam dinajanaya ca vittam || 28 ||
sukhatah kriyate ramabhogah
pascaddhanta sarire rogah |
yadyapi loke maranam saranam
tadapi na muñcati papacaranam || 29 ||
arthamanartham bhavaya nityam
nasti tatah sukha lesah satyam |
putradapi dhanabhajam bhitih
sarvatraisa vihita ritih || 30 ||
nityanitya viveka vicaram |
japyasameta samadhi vidhanam
kurva vadhanam mahad-avadhanam || 31 ||
guru caranambhuja nirbharabhaktah
samsarad-acirad-bhava muktah |
sendiya manasa niyamadevam
draksyasi nija hrdayastham devam || 32 ||
mudhah kascina vaiyakarano
dukrnkaranadhyayana dhurinah |
bodhita asicchodita karanaih || 33 ||
Bhaja Govindam Slokam Meaning:
1) Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda. Oh fool! Rules of Grammar will not save you at the time of your death.
2) Oh fool! Give up your thirst to amass wealth, devote your mind to thoughts to the Real. Be content with what comes through actions already performed in the past.
3) Do not get drowned in delusion by going wild with passions and lust by seeing a woman’s navel and chest. These are nothing but a modification of flesh. Do not fail to remember this again and again in your mind.
4) The life of a man is as uncertain as rain drops trembling on a lotus leaf. Know that the whole world remains a prey to disease, ego and grief.
5) So long as a man is fit and able to support his family, see the affection all those around him show. But no one at home cares to even have a word with him when his body totters due to old age.
6) When one is alive, his family members enquire kindly about his welfare. But when the soul departs from the body, even his wife runs away in fear of the corpse.
7) childhood is lost by attachment to playfulness. Youth is lost by attachment to woman. Old age passes away by thinking over many past things. But there is hardly anyone who wants to be lost in parabrahmam.
8) Who is your wife? Who is your son? Strange is this samsara. Of whom are you? From where have you come? Brother, ponder over these truths here.
9) From Satsangh comes non-attachment, from non-attachment comes freedom from delusion, which leads to self-settledness. From self-settledness comes Jeevan Mukti.
10) What good is lust when youth has fled? What use is a lake which has no water? Where are the relatives when wealth is gone? Where is samsara when the Truth is known?
11) Do not boast of wealth, friends, and youth. Each one of these are destroyed within a minute. Free yourself from the illusion of the world of Maya and attain the timeless Truth.
12) Daylight and darkness, dusk and dawn, winter and springtime come and go. Time plays and life ebbs away. But the storm of desire never leaves.
13) This bouquet of twelve verses was imparted to a grammarian by the all-knowing Shankara, adored as the bhagavadpada.
14) Oh mad man! Why this engrossment in thoughts of wealth? Is there no one to guide you? There is only one thing in three worlds that can save you from the ocean from samsara. Get into that boat of satsangha quickly. Stanza attributed to Padmapada.
15) There are many who go with matted locks, many who have clean shaven heads, many whose hairs have been plucked out; some are clothed in saffron, yet others in various colors — all just for a livelihood. Seeing truth revealed before them, still the foolish ones see it not. Stanza attributed to Totakacharya.
16) Strength has left the old man’s body; his head has become bald, his gums toothless and leaning on crutches. Even then the attachment is strong and he clings firmly to fruitless desires. Stanza attributed to Hastamalaka.
17) Behold there lies the man who sits warming up his body with the fire in front and the sun at the back; at night he curls up the body to keep out of the cold; he eats his beggar’s food from the bowl of his hand and sleeps beneath the tree. Still in his heart, he is a wretched puppet at the hands of passions. Stanza attributed to Subodha.
18) One may go to gangasagar(ganes), observe fasts, and give away riches in charity! Yet, devoid of jnana, nothing can give mukthi even at the end of a hundred births. Stanza attributed to Sureshwaracharya.
19) Take your residence in a temple or below a tree, wear the deerskin for the dress, and sleep with mother earth as your bed. Give up all attachments and renounce all comforts. Blessed with such vairagya, could any fail to be content? Stanza attributed to Nityananda.
20) One may take delight in yoga or bhoga, may have attachment or detachment. But only he whose mind steadily delights in Brahman enjoys bliss, no one else. Stanza attributed to Anandagiri.
21) Let a man read but a little from Gitaa, drink just a drop of water from the ganges, worship murari (govinda) just once. He then will have no altercation with Yama. Stanza attributed to dR^iDhabhakta.
22) Born again, death again, birth again to stay in the mother’s womb ! It is indeed hard to cross this boundless ocean of samsara. Oh Murari ! Redeem me through Thy mercy. Stanza attributed to Nityanatha.
23) There is no shortage of clothing for a monk so long as there are rags cast off the road. Freed from vice and virtue, onward he wanders. One who lives in communion with God enjoys bliss, pure and uncontaminated, like a child and as someone intoxicated. Stanza attributed to Nityanatha.
24) Who are you? Who am I? From where do I come? Who is my mother, who is my father? Ponder thus, look at everything as essenceless and give up the world as an idle dream. Stanza attributed to Surendra.
25) In me, in you and in everything, none but the same Vishnu dwells. Your anger and impatience is meaningless. If you wish to attain the status of Vishnu soon, have samabhava always. Stanza attributed to medhaatithira.
26) Do not waste your efforts to win the love of or to fight against friend and foe, children and relatives. See yourself in everyone and give up all feelings of duality completely. Stanza attributed to medhaatithira.
27) Give up lust, anger, infatuation, and greed. Ponder over your real nature. Fools are they who are blind to the Self. Cast into hell they suffer there endlessly. Stanza attributed to bharativamsha.
28) Regularly recite from the Gita, meditate on Vishnu [thro’ Vishnu sahasranama] in your heart, and chant His thousand glories. Take delight to be with the noble and the holy. Distribute your wealth in charity to the poor and the needy. Stanza attributed to sumatira.
29) He who yields to lust for pleasure leaves his body prey to disease. Though death brings an end to everything, man does not give up the sinful path.
30) Wealth is not welfare, truly there is no joy in it. Reflect thus at all times. A rich man fears even his own son. This is the way of wealth everywhere.
31) Oh devotee of the lotus feet of the Guru! May thou be soon free from Samsara. Through disciplined senses and controlled mind, thou shalt come to experience the Indwelling Lord of your heart!
32) Thus was a silly grammarian lost in rules cleansed of his narrow vision and shown the Light by Shankara’s apostles.
33) Worship Govinda, worship Govinda, worship Govinda, Oh fool! Other than chanting the Lord’s names, there is no other way to cross the life’s ocean.
Bhaja Govindam Slokam in Hindi | English | Telugu | Tamil | Kannada | Malayalam | Bengali