Chandrasekhara Ashtakam, also known as Chandrashekara Ashtakam, or Chandra Sekhara Ashtak or Chandrasekharashtakam, is the bhakti bhajan song of Lord Shiva or Chandrashekara. Chandrashekhara Ashtak was composed by Rishi Markandeya Muni when he was saved by Lord Shiva from Yama Raja, Yama Raja is the Lord of Death.
Eight Verses in the Glory of Lord Chandrashekhara.
Chandra Sekhara Ashtak Stotram Hindi Lyrics:
॥ श्री चन्द्रशेखराष्टकम् ॥
चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर पाहि माम् ।
चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर रक्ष माम् ॥ १ ॥
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ २ ॥
फाललोचन जातपावक दग्धमन्मथविग्रहम् ।
भस्मदिग्धकलेबरं भवनाशनं भवमव्ययं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ३ ॥
पङ्कजासन पद्मलोचन पूजिताङ्घ्रि सरोरुहम् ।
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ४ ॥
यक्षराजसखं भगाक्षहरं भुजङ्गविभूषणं
क्ष्वेलनीलगलं परश्वथधारिणं मृगधारिणं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ५ ॥
नारदादिमुनीश्वरस्तुतवैभवं भुवनेश्वरम् ।
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ६ ॥
दक्षयज्ञविनाशनं त्रिगुणात्मकं त्रिविलोचनम् ।
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ७ ॥
भक्तवत्सलमर्चितं निधिमक्षयं हरिदम्बरं
सर्वभूतपतिं परात्परमप्रमेयमनुत्तमम् ।
सोमवारुण भूहुताशन सोमपानिखिलाकृतिं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ८ ॥
विश्वसृष्टिविधायिनं पुनरेव पालनतत्परं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ ९ ॥
मृत्युभीत मृकण्डुसूनुकृतस्तवं शिवसन्निधौ
यत्र कुत्र च यः पठेन्न हि तस्य मृत्युभयं भवेत् ।
चन्द्रशेखर एव तस्य ददाति मुक्तिमयत्नतः ॥ १० ॥
संसारसर्पदुष्टानां जन्तूनामविवेकिनाम् ।
चन्द्रशेखरपादाब्जस्मरणं परमौषधम् ॥ **]
इति श्री चन्द्रशेखराष्टकम् ।
Chandrasekhara Ashtakam Meaning:
1) I seek refuge in Him, Who has the moon, who made the mountain of jewels into His bow, who resides on the mountain of silver, who made the serpent Vasuki as rope, who made Lord Vishnu as arrows, and quickly destroyed the three cities, and who is saluted by the three worlds. So what can the God of death do to me?
2) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who shines with the pair of His lotus-like feet, which are worshipped by the scented flowers of five Kalpaka trees, who burnt the body of the God of love, using the fire from the eyes on His forehead, who applies ash all over His body, who destroys the sorrow of life, and who does not have destruction. So what can the God of death do to me?
3) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the stealer of minds because of His upper cloth, made of the skin of the ferocious elephant, who has lotus like feet which are worshipped by Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu, and who has matted hair drenched by drops of the waves of the holy river Ganga. So what can the God of death do to me?
4) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is a friend of Lord Kubera, who destroyed the eyes of Bhaga, who wears serpent as an ornament, whose left part of the body is decorated by the daughter of the King of Mountain (Himalaya), whose neck is blue because of the poison, who is armed with an axe, and who carries a deer with Him. So what can the God of death do to me?
5) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who wears the ear studs made of a curling serpent, who is the great one being praised by Narada and other sages, who is the Lord of the entire earth, who is the killer of Antakasura. who is the wish giving tree to His devotees, and who is the killer of the God of death. So what can God of death do to me?
6) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the doctor who cures sorrowful life, who destroys all sorts of dangers, who destroyed the fire sacrifice of Daksha, who is the personification of three qualities, who has three different eyes, who bestows devotion and salvation, and who destroys all types of sins. So what can God of death do to me?
7) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is worshipped as the darling of devotees, who is the treasure which is perennial, who clothes Himself with the directions, who is the chief of all beings, who is beyond the unreachable God, who is not understood by anyone, who is the holiest of everyone, and who is served by the moon, water, sun, earth, fire, ether, boss and the wind. So what can the God of death do to me?
8) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who does the creation of the universe, who then is interested in its upkeep, who at proper time destroys the universe, who lives in every being of the universe, who is plays day and night with all beings, who is the leader of all beings, and who is like anyone of them. So what can the God of death do to me?
9) He who reads this prayer, composed by the son of Mrukandu, who was fear struck with a death in the temple of Lord Shiva, will not have fear of death. He would have a full healthy life, with all grains and all wealth. Lord Chandra Shekara would give him salvation in the end.