Chandrasekhara Ashtakam, also known as Chandrashekara Ashtakam, or Chandra Sekhara Ashtak or Chandrasekharashtakam, is the bhakti bhajan song of Lord Shiva or Chandrashekara. Chandrashekhara Ashtak was composed by Rishi Markandeya Muni when he was saved by Lord Shiva from Yama Raja, Yama Raja is the Lord of Death.
Eight Verses in the Glory of Lord Chandrashekhara.
Chandra Shekara Ashtak Stotram in English:
॥ śrī candraśēkharāṣṭakam ॥
Chandrasekhara Chandrasekhara Chandrasekhara Pahimam
Chandrasekhara Chandrasekhara Chandrasekhara Rakshamam
Ratnasaanu Saraasanam, Raajataadri Sringa Niketanam
Sinjinee Krita Pannageswara, Machyutaanala Saayakam
Khipra Dagda Pura Trayam, Tridasaalayai Rabhivanditam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 1 ॥
Panchapaadapa Pushpagandhi Padambujadwaya Sobhitam
Phala Lochana Jaata Paavaka Dagda Manmatha Vigraham
Bhasma Digda Kalebaram Bhavanashanam, Bhavamavyayam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 2 ॥
Mattavaarana Mukhya Charma Kritottareeya Manoharam
Pankajaasana Padmalochana Poojiaanghri Saroruham
Devasindhu Taranga Seekra Siktha Subhra Jataadharam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Kartishyati Viyamah ॥ 3 ॥
Yaksharaaja Sakham Bhagakshaharam, Bhujanga Vibhooshnam
Sailaraja Sutaa Parishkrita Chaaru Vaama Kalebaram
Kshwela Neela Galam Paraswada Dhaarinam Mrigadhaarinam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Him Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 4 ॥
Kundaleekrita Kundaleeswaara Kundalam Vrisha Vaahanam
Naaradaadi Muneeswara Stuta Vaibhavam Bhuvaneswaram
Andhakaanthakam Aasritaamara Padapam Samanaantakam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 5 ॥
Bheshajam Bhavaroginaam , Akhilaapadaamapahaarinam
Daksha Yagna Vinaananam Trigunaatmakam Trivilochanam
Bhukti Mukti Phalapradam Sakalaagha Sanghanibarhanam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Why Yamah ॥ 6 ॥
Bhaktavatsala Marchitam Nidhimakshayam Haridambaram
Sarvabhootapatim Paraatpara Maprameya Manuttamam
Somavaarina Bhoohotaasana Somapaanilakhakritim
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 7 ॥
Viswa Srishti Vidhyayinam , Punareva Paalana Tatparam
Samharanta Mapi Prapancha Masesha Loka Nivaasinam
Kreedayanta Maharnisam Gananatha Yootha Samamvitam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 8 ॥
Mrityubheeta Mrikanda Soonu Krita Stavam Siva Sannidhou
Yatrakruta Chayah Pathennahi Tasya Mrityu Bhavam Bhavet
Poornamaayurarogataa Makhitartha Smapada Maadharam
Chandrasekharamaasraye Mama Kim Karishyati Viyamah ॥ 9 ॥
samsarasarpadustanam jantunamavivekinam |
candrasekharapadabjasmaranam paramausadham || **]
iti srī candrasekharastakam |
Chandrasekhara Ashtakam Meaning:
1) I seek refuge in Him, Who has the moon, who made the mountain of jewels into His bow, who resides on the mountain of silver, who made the serpent Vasuki as rope, who made Lord Vishnu as arrows, and quickly destroyed the three cities, and who is saluted by the three worlds. So what can the God of death do to me?
2) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who shines with the pair of His lotus-like feet, which are worshipped by the scented flowers of five Kalpaka trees, who burnt the body of the God of love, using the fire from the eyes on His forehead, who applies ash all over His body, who destroys the sorrow of life, and who does not have destruction. So what can the God of death do to me?
3) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the stealer of minds because of His upper cloth, made of the skin of the ferocious elephant, who has lotus like feet which are worshipped by Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu, and who has matted hair drenched by drops of the waves of the holy river Ganga. So what can the God of death do to me?
4) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is a friend of Lord Kubera, who destroyed the eyes of Bhaga, who wears serpent as an ornament, whose left part of the body is decorated by the daughter of the King of Mountain (Himalaya), whose neck is blue because of the poison, who is armed with an axe, and who carries a deer with Him. So what can the God of death do to me?
5) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who wears the ear studs made of a curling serpent, who is the great one being praised by Narada and other sages, who is the Lord of the entire earth, who is the killer of Antakasura. who is the wish giving tree to His devotees, and who is the killer of the God of death. So what can God of death do to me?
6) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the doctor who cures sorrowful life, who destroys all sorts of dangers, who destroyed the fire sacrifice of Daksha, who is the personification of three qualities, who has three different eyes, who bestows devotion and salvation, and who destroys all types of sins. So what can God of death do to me?
7) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is worshipped as the darling of devotees, who is the treasure which is perennial, who clothes Himself with the directions, who is the chief of all beings, who is beyond the unreachable God, who is not understood by anyone, who is the holiest of everyone, and who is served by the moon, water, sun, earth, fire, ether, boss and the wind. So what can the God of death do to me?
8) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who does the creation of the universe, who then is interested in its upkeep, who at proper time destroys the universe, who lives in every being of the universe, who is plays day and night with all beings, who is the leader of all beings, and who is like anyone of them. So what can the God of death do to me?
9) He who reads this prayer, composed by the son of Mrukandu, who was fear struck with a death in the temple of Lord Shiva, will not have fear of death. He would have a full healthy life, with all grains and all wealth. Lord Chandra Shekara would give him salvation in the end.