Chandrasekhara Ashtakam, also known as Chandrashekara Ashtakam, or Chandra Sekhara Ashtak or Chandrasekharashtakam, is the bhakti bhajan song of Lord Shiva or Chandrashekara. Chandrashekhara Ashtak was composed by Rishi Markandeya Muni when he was saved by Lord Shiva from Yama Raja, Yama Raja is the Lord of Death.
Eight Verses in the Glory of Lord Chandrashekhara.
Chandra Shekara Ashtak Stotram in Kannada:
॥ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಾಷ್ಟಕಂ ॥
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಪಾಹಿ ಮಾಮ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ರಕ್ಷ ಮಾಮ್ || ೧ ||
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೨ ||
ಫಾಲಲೋಚನ ಜಾತಪಾವಕ ದಗ್ಧಮನ್ಮಥವಿಗ್ರಹಮ್ |
ಭಸ್ಮದಿಗ್ಧಕಳೇಬರಂ ಭವನಾಶನಂ ಭವಮವ್ಯಯಂ
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೩ ||
ಪಂಕಜಾಸನ ಪದ್ಮಲೋಚನ ಪೂಜಿತಾಂಘ್ರಿ ಸರೋರುಹಮ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೪ ||
ಯಕ್ಷರಾಜಸಖಂ ಭಗಾಕ್ಷಹರಂ ಭುಜಂಗವಿಭೂಷಣಂ
ಕ್ಷ್ವೇಳನೀಲಗಳಂ ಪರಶ್ವಥಧಾರಿಣಂ ಮೃಗಧಾರಿಣಂ
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೫ ||
ನಾರದಾದಿಮುನೀಶ್ವರಸ್ತುತವೈಭವಂ ಭುವನೇಶ್ವರಮ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೬ ||
ದಕ್ಷಯಜ್ಞವಿನಾಶನಂ ತ್ರಿಗುಣಾತ್ಮಕಂ ತ್ರಿವಿಲೋಚನಮ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೭ ||
ಭಕ್ತವತ್ಸಲಮರ್ಚಿತಂ ನಿಧಿಮಕ್ಷಯಂ ಹರಿದಂಬರಂ
ಸರ್ವಭೂತಪತಿಂ ಪರಾತ್ಪರಮಪ್ರಮೇಯಮನುತ್ತಮಮ್ |
ಸೋಮವಾರುಣ ಭೂಹುತಾಶನ ಸೋಮಪಾನಿಖಿಲಾಕೃತಿಂ
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೮ ||
ವಿಶ್ವಸೃಷ್ಟಿವಿಧಾಯಿನಂ ಪುನರೇವ ಪಾಲನತತ್ಪರಂ
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಮಾಶ್ರಯೇ ಮಮ ಕಿಂ ಕರಿಷ್ಯತಿ ವೈ ಯಮಃ || ೯ ||
ಮೃತ್ಯುಭೀತ ಮೃಕಂಡುಸೂನುಕೃತಸ್ತವಂ ಶಿವಸನ್ನಿಧೌ
ಯತ್ರ ಕುತ್ರ ಚ ಯಃ ಪಠೇನ್ನ ಹಿ ತಸ್ಯ ಮೃತ್ಯುಭಯಂ ಭವೇತ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರ ಏವ ತಸ್ಯ ದದಾತಿ ಮುಕ್ತಿಮಯತ್ನತಃ || ೧೦ ||
ಸಂಸಾರಸರ್ಪದುಷ್ಟಾನಾಂ ಜಂತೂನಾಮವಿವೇಕಿನಾಮ್ |
ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಪಾದಾಬ್ಜಸ್ಮರಣಂ ಪರಮೌಷಧಮ್ || **]
ಇತಿ ಶ್ರೀ ಚಂದ್ರಶೇಖರಾಷ್ಟಕಮ್ |
Chandrasekhara Ashtakam Meaning:
1) I seek refuge in Him, Who has the moon, who made the mountain of jewels into His bow, who resides on the mountain of silver, who made the serpent Vasuki as rope, who made Lord Vishnu as arrows, and quickly destroyed the three cities, and who is saluted by the three worlds. So what can the God of death do to me?
2) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who shines with the pair of His lotus-like feet, which are worshipped by the scented flowers of five Kalpaka trees, who burnt the body of the God of love, using the fire from the eyes on His forehead, who applies ash all over His body, who destroys the sorrow of life, and who does not have destruction. So what can the God of death do to me?
3) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the stealer of minds because of His upper cloth, made of the skin of the ferocious elephant, who has lotus like feet which are worshipped by Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu, and who has matted hair drenched by drops of the waves of the holy river Ganga. So what can the God of death do to me?
4) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is a friend of Lord Kubera, who destroyed the eyes of Bhaga, who wears serpent as an ornament, whose left part of the body is decorated by the daughter of the King of Mountain (Himalaya), whose neck is blue because of the poison, who is armed with an axe, and who carries a deer with Him. So what can the God of death do to me?
5) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who wears the ear studs made of a curling serpent, who is the great one being praised by Narada and other sages, who is the Lord of the entire earth, who is the killer of Antakasura. who is the wish giving tree to His devotees, and who is the killer of the God of death. So what can God of death do to me?
6) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is the doctor who cures sorrowful life, who destroys all sorts of dangers, who destroyed the fire sacrifice of Daksha, who is the personification of three qualities, who has three different eyes, who bestows devotion and salvation, and who destroys all types of sins. So what can God of death do to me?
7) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who is worshipped as the darling of devotees, who is the treasure which is perennial, who clothes Himself with the directions, who is the chief of all beings, who is beyond the unreachable God, who is not understood by anyone, who is the holiest of everyone, and who is served by the moon, water, sun, earth, fire, ether, boss and the wind. So what can the God of death do to me?
8) I seek refuge in Him, who has the moon, who does the creation of the universe, who then is interested in its upkeep, who at proper time destroys the universe, who lives in every being of the universe, who is plays day and night with all beings, who is the leader of all beings, and who is like anyone of them. So what can the God of death do to me?
9) He who reads this prayer, composed by the son of Mrukandu, who was fear struck with a death in the temple of Lord Shiva, will not have fear of death. He would have a full healthy life, with all grains and all wealth. Lord Chandra Shekara would give him salvation in the end.