The Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple or Perumthrikkovil or Kerala Palani or Dakshina Palani is one of the ancient and largest Subrahmanya Swamy Temples located in Danapadi, Haripad, Alappuzha, Kerala. The temple is believed to have been established even before the advent of Kali Yuga. It is the largest Subrahmanya temple in Kerala with the tallest golden flag or Dhwajastambha. It is widely believed that Shiva and Sri Vishnu also reside in the idol and hence the deity is considered extremely powerful.
The presiding deity is Karthikeya in the form of four arms with Vel in one hand, Vajrayudha in another hand, one hand bestowing boons and the other stiffening his thighs. The idol is approximately six feet tall. The idol is believed to have the presence of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma. The idol faces east.
This Murugan temple is believed to be over 3,500 years old with four Gopuras and the golden flagpole on its eastern side. The Garbhagriha (Sanctum sanctorum) of the temple is circular in shape while there is also a Koothambalam located within the temple complex. The temple also houses peacocks which are believed to be the divine Vahana of Sri Muruga. The temple is located in a village called “Arippad”, which literally means “the place of rice fields”. Harippad is also considered by some to be the household name of “Harigeethapuram”.
Besides the main deity, there are other deities like Dakshinamoorthy, Sri Ganesh, Thiruvambadi Kannan, Nāga, Shasta and Keezhthrikkovil Subrahmanyan.
Haripad Muruga Temple Timings:
Morning: 4:00 AM to 12:00 Noon
Evening: 4:30 PM to 8:30 PM
According to Legend, the Vigraha of Sri Skanda here is believed to have been worshipped by Parasurama, the sixth incarnation of Sri Vishnu himself. Few locals are believed to have had a dream revealing the fact that the deity worshipped by Lord Parasurama was immersed in the nearby Kayamkulam Lake. They had supposedly retrieved this idol from the lake and had ceremoniously brought it to Harippad. The traditional Payippad boat race is celebrated every year to commemorate this ceremonious procession of Lord Muruga’s vigraha to Harippad. This ancient shrine finds mention in the works of Swathi Thirunal and Kerala Varma Valiya Koi Thampuran’s Mayura Sandesom. Kerala Varma Valiya Koi Thampuran had in fact penned the Mayura Sandesam while imprisoned at the Harippad palace. Several other historical scripts are said to have been destroyed due to a major fire accident in the year 1921. This historical Skanda temple was also renovated in the year 1926. The only inscription found in the temple revealed that the Koothambalam (temple theatre) was constructed in 1769 A.D. The temple was initially under the control of Odanad (Kayamkulam) royal family. Later when Kayamkulam was merged with Travancore in 1734, the temple came under the Travancore Devaswom Board.
Haripad Subrahmanya Temple History:
There is a general belief that the idol used by Parasurama for worship was later left at Kandanalloor, in the Govindamuttom Backwaters. It was later recovered from the place. Natives also reveal that all the landlords of Eakachakra (the then Haripad) had a divine vision about this Vigraha at about the same time. This subsequently led them into finding the Vigraha at Kayamkulam lake. The idol was then brought ashore at a place called Nelpurakadavu. Marking this special event, the Vigraha Labdhi Jalolsavam is conducted every year in the Payippad river for three days, after Thiruvonam. Legends also reveal the fact that this idol of Lord Muruga was kept under a banyan tree belonging to a Christian family named Tharakanmar for Ara Nazhika (half an hour) go public viewing. Even today, one can find a small shrine called the “Ara Nazhika Ambalam” where this idol was temporarily placed in the past.
The vigraha of the deity was consecrated on the day of Pushya Star in the Malayalam month of Makaram. This auspicious day is also celebrated as the founding day of the temple every year. Lord Vishnu himself is believed to have appeared as a saint to consecrate the temple. The temple had supposedly caught fire in the Malayalam year 1096, yet the golden flag mast and the Koothambalam stood undamaged by the fire. It was later rebuilt during the rule of King Sree Chithira Thirunal Rama Varma, along with the golden flag mast.
Haripad Karthikeya Temple Festivals:
The particularity of this temple is that it has 3 kodiyettu/Dhvajastambha utsavas in a calendar year. Another specialty is that these festivals are observed based on the Tamil calendar. Avani Utsavam in Chingom, Markazhi Utsavam in Dhanu, Chithira Utsavam in Medom form Utsava Trayam. In these three utsavas, three bhavas are attributed to the deity like Sri Maha Vishnu in Avani, Shiva in Markazhi, as Sri Subrahmanya himself in Chithira. Therefore, Chithira Thiruvulsavam, the annual festival, is the most important here. Thrikkathika in Vrischikam, Prathishta day in Idavam, Skanda Ashthami in Thulam, Navarathri in Kanni and Thaipooyam in Makaram are some of the other important festivals of Haripad temple.
Haripad Muruga Temple Nivedyam:
Chathushataham, PanchassaraChathushatahamnivedyam, Panchamritham(Nivedyam and Abhishekam), Thrimadhuranivedyam, Vellanivedyam, Kadumpayasam, Palpayasam, Unniyappanivedyam.
Haripad Muruga Temple Abhishekam:
Milk, Oil, Panineeru (Rosewater), Karimbin neeru (Sugarcane juice), Ghee, Sharkara, Karikku (Tender Coconut) and Honey.
Pushpabhishekam, Bhasmabhishekam, Kalabhabhishekam,
Other Offerings in Haripad Temple:
Mughacharthu, Anjupooja, Sreebhoothabeli, Nithya pooja, Udayasthamana pooja, Chuttu Vilakku, Niramala, Arippara, Nelppara, Panjassarappara, Anpoli, Utsavabeli, Malacharthal, Udayadacharthal, Neivilakku, Namakaranam, Annaprasam, Adima.
How To Reach Haripad Muruga Temple:
The Cochin International Airport is 115 km from the temple.
Regular trains are available from many major cities of the country to Haripad in Kerala.
The town of Haripad is well connected with major cities of the state through regular buses.
Haripad Subrahmanya Temple Address:
Haripad Temple Road,
Kerala – 690514.