Mariamman Temple Timings: From 5:30 am to 12:00 Noon and 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Sri Mariamman Temple, which was popularly known then as Kling Street Temple, is the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore. It was constructed in 1827 for worship by immigrants belonging to the Nagapatnam and Cuddalore districts of South India. The temple dedicated to Goddess Mariamman is known for the amazing power of the goddess in curing infectious diseases.
The Temple is located in the heart of Chinatown and its ornamental tower entrance or gopuram has been a breakthrough to generations of Hindu devotees and Singaporeans alike.
The building of the Temple was the inspiration of Mr Naraina Pillai, who was a clerk with the British East India Company in Penang. Mr Pillai accompanied Sir Stamford Raffles, Founder of Singapore, on his second visit to the island in 1819. Mr Pillai, who established the first brick kiln in Singapore, rapidly developed his business and was recognized as a leader of the Indian community.
The East India Company originally allotted land for a Hindu Temple in Telok Ayer Street. But, there was no convenient source of fresh water needed for rituals and hence Colonel William Farquhar, the first British Resident and Commandant of Singapore from 1819-1823, allowed Mr Pillai to possess an alternative plot near Stamford Canal, in 1821. However, due to modifications in colonial town planning, the site at Stamford Canal site was not made available. The South Bridge site in the Chinatown area, where the temple currently stands, was finally allotted to Mr Pillai in 1823.
By 1827, a temple structure made of wood and attap was constructed at South Bridge Road by 1827. A small deity of Sri Mariamman, called as “Sinna Amman”, was installed by Mr Pillai in 1827 when the temple was first built. Interestingly, this deity can be found in the main sanctum of the present temple.
In 1843, a building made of plaster and brick was constructed for the first time. 119 years later, in 1962, a new temple structure was established with intricate sculptural works reflecting the temple architecture in India. The original gopuram (grand tower entrance) which was constructed in the late 1800’s, did not have much decorative works. During 1930’s, it was rebuilt and in the 1960’s it was repaired and restored with intricate sculptures. During the last hundred years, the original temple structure had undergone several phases of renovation.
As per the historical records of the Temple, the first kumbabishegam (consecration) ceremony was held in June 1936, but no such ceremony had been recorded before that. The second kumbabishegam was held in June 1949. Subsequently, other kumbabishegams were held on 6th June 1971, 6th September 1984 and 19th May 1996.
During colonial times, Sri Mariamman temple served as a shelter for new immigrants. It served as the central point for community activities and served as the Registry of Marriages for Hindus at that time when only temples were authorized to solemnize Hindu marriages.
Theemithi (Fire walking ceremony) is the main festival celebrated at Sri Mariamman temple, which is celebrated every year in October/ November. Other major festivals are Navarathiri and 1008 Sankabishegam.
Mariamman Temple Daily Pooja Details:
Temple Opening Time – 5.30 am
Morning Temple Poojai – 7.00 am
Archanai Closed – 11.30 am
Uchikala Poojai – 12.00 Noon
Evening Temple Opening Time : 4.00 pm
Evening Temple Poojai – 6.00 pm
Archanai Closed – 8.30pm
Artha Jama Poojai – 9.00 pm
Friday Pooja Details in Mariamman Temple:
Temple Opening Time – 5.00 am
Morning Temple Poojai – 6.30 am
Archanai Closed – 11.30 am
Uchikala Poojai – 12.15 pm
Evening Temple Opening Time: 4.00 pm
Evening Temple Poojai: 5.30 pm
Archanai Closed: 9.00 pm
Artha Jama Poojai: 9.30 pm
Rahu Ketu Pooja in Mariamman Temple:
Raagu Kaala Poojai is performed on every Tuesday at 3.00 pm.
Rahu Kaala Pooja is performed on every Sunday at 4.00 pm.
Deities inside Sri Mariamman Temple:
Sri Sundara Vinayagar
Sri Periyachi Amman
Sri Drowpathai Amman
Mariamman Temple Address:
Sri Mariamman Temple
244 South Bridge Road,
Singapore – 058793.