Sri Sivan Temple Timings: From 6:00 am to 12:00 Noon and 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Morning Archanai: 6:30am to 7:45 am and 8:30 am to 11:45 am.
Evening Archanai: 6:30 pm to 8:45 pm.
Athmasanthi Prayer Timings:
Morning – 6:30 am to 7:30 am and 8:30 am to 11:30 am
Evening – 7:00 pm to 8:45 pm.
Note:The timings will change during festival days and special abishegams days.
Prathosham Pooja: Evening 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm
Saneeswarar Homam – First Saturday – 9.00 am
Kala Bhairava Ashtami – Abishegam – 7:30 pm
Sri Sooriyan Abishegam – Last Sunday – 10:30 am
Guru Shasranamam – Last Thursday – 7.00 pm
Sri Dhakshinmoorthy Abishegam – Every Thursday – 7.30 am
Sri Chandran Abishegam – Last Monday – 10:30 am
Daily Pooja Schedule:
Daily Six Kaala Pooja Details:
Ushathkaalam – 6.00 am
Kaalasanthi – 8.00 am
Uchchikaalam – 12.00 Noon (On Saturdays Uchikala Pooja will be at 12:30)
Sayaratchai – 6.00 pm
Irandamkaalam – 7.00 pm
Arthajaamam – 9.00 pm
On Mondays the pooja time for these poojas will take longer than regular time.
As per records, Sri Sivan Temple was reconstructed in the early 1850’s as a firm structure at the site in Orchard Road. It is beneath this site the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station is located. The Sivalinga at this site was known to be worshiped well before 1850. The Sivalinga had moved to different locations within Singapore three times. Once from Potong Pasir to a site in the lower end of Dhoby Ghaut, then to a site near the present MacDonald House, and then to the Orchard Road site, where it was used to be until 1983.
In 1898, another phase of development of Sri Sivan Temple began. The Temple was rebuilt after several years of work. One Mr V Nagappa Chetty and his wife were responsible for this, who mostly used their own funds and also donations collected from local Hindus.
As per government notification in the gazette on October 18, 1915, Sri Sivan Temple was placed under the Mohammedan and Hindu Endowments Board. In 1968, the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) was formed to administer four temples including the Sri Sivan Temple.
Due to shell attack in the Second World War, some of the idols of the secondary deities and a portion of the temple structure were damaged. Towards the end of the war, renovations were carried out to the temple and a consecration ceremony was held in July 1943. In 1954, the Municipal Commissioners, as a part of widening of Orchard Road wanted the temple to be set back 14 feet from the road. After several discussions, the matter was compromised between the Board and the City Council. For giving up 490 sq. feet of its front land, the temple was paid a compensation of $50,000 and allowed to rebuild the temple at the same site. With the plans prepared to rebuild the temple in 1957, the local contractors completed the construction works in April 1962. The skilled crafts men from India did the sculptural and ornamental works and the consecration ceremony was conducted on December 9, 1964.
In 1983, the Government decided to acquire the land of the temple site, because an underground MRT station was to be constructed there. Hence, a temporary temple was set up near the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple at Serangoon Road and meanwhile a permanent location was being identified. The idols of the deities from the Orchard Road Temple were shifted to the new Temple at Serangoon Road and the daily rituals as well as festivals continued without interruption. The Hindu Endowments Board had the intention to build new temple with unique appearance, features and facilities. The Board and the management committee consulted with prominent temple architects in India and they also sent a team to study the best temples of both the North and South India. The efforts resulted in a unique design with an octagonal structure, having a multi-purpose hall and staff quarters. The new temple was built on a 3,000 sq. meter site at Geylang East, at a cost of $6 million. This new site has more space and is about four-and-a-half times larger than the temple’s former site at Orchard Road. Putting an end to the temporary dwelling ten years at Serangoon Road, the Sri Sivan Temple at its present site at Geylang East was consecrated on May 30 1993.
The main festivals celebrated at Sri Sivan Temple include Vinayagar Chathurthi, Maha Sivarathiri, Thirukarthigai, Vaikasi Visakam Brahmothsavam, Navarathiri, Thiruvembavai Vizha, Vasantha Navarathiri, Guru Peryarchi, Sani Peyarchi, Arudra Dharisanam and Skantha Shasti.
Sivan Temple Address:
Sri Sivan Temple
24 Geylang East Avenue 2,
Singapore – 389752.