Sri Aditya Hridayam lyrics in Hindi:
ततो युद्ध परिश्रान्तं समरे चिन्तया स्थितम् ।
रावणं चाग्रतो दृष्ट्वा युद्धाय समुपस्थितम् ॥ 1 ॥
दैवतैश्च समागम्य द्रष्टुमभ्यागतो रणम् ।
उपगम्या ब्रवीद्रामम् अगस्त्यो भगवान् ऋषिः ॥ 2 ॥
राम राम महाबाहो शृणु गुह्यं सनातनम् ।
येन सर्वानरीन् वत्स समरे विजयिष्यसि ॥ 3 ॥
आदित्य हृदयं पुण्यं सर्वशत्रु विनाशनम् ।
जयावहं जपेन्नित्यम् अक्षय्यं परमं शिवम् ॥ 4 ॥
सर्वमङ्गल माङ्गल्यं सर्व पाप प्रणाशनम् ।
चिन्ताशोक प्रशमनम् आयुर्वर्धन मुत्तमम् ॥ 5 ॥
रश्मिमन्तं समुद्यन्तं देवासुर नमस्कृतम् ।
पूजयस्व विवस्वन्तं भास्करं भुवनेश्वरम् ॥ 6 ॥
सर्वदेवात्मको ह्येष तेजस्वी रश्मिभावनः ।
एष देवासुर गणान् लोकान् पाति गभस्तिभिः ॥ 7 ॥
एष ब्रह्मा च विष्णुश्च शिवः स्कन्दः प्रजापतिः ।
महेन्द्रो धनदः कालो यमः सोमो ह्यपां पतिः ॥ 8 ॥
पितरो वसवः साध्या ह्यश्विनौ मरुतो मनुः ।
वायुर्वह्निः प्रजाप्राणः ऋतुकर्ता प्रभाकरः ॥ 9 ॥
आदित्यः सविता सूर्यः खगः पूषा गभस्तिमान् ।
सुवर्णसदृशो भानुः हिरण्यरेता दिवाकरः ॥ 10 ॥
हरिदश्वः सहस्रार्चिः सप्तसप्ति-र्मरीचिमान् ।
तिमिरोन्मथनः शम्भुः त्वष्टा मार्ताण्डकोஉंशुमान् ॥ 11 ॥
हिरण्यगर्भः शिशिरः तपनो भास्करो रविः ।
अग्निगर्भोஉदितेः पुत्रः शङ्खः शिशिरनाशनः ॥ 12 ॥
व्योमनाथ स्तमोभेदी ऋग्यजुःसाम-पारगः ।
घनावृष्टि रपां मित्रो विन्ध्यवीथी प्लवङ्गमः ॥ 13 ॥
आतपी मण्डली मृत्युः पिङ्गलः सर्वतापनः ।
कविर्विश्वो महातेजा रक्तः सर्वभवोद्भवः ॥ 14 ॥
नक्षत्र ग्रह ताराणाम् अधिपो विश्वभावनः ।
तेजसामपि तेजस्वी द्वादशात्मन्-नमोஉस्तु ते ॥ 15 ॥
नमः पूर्वाय गिरये पश्चिमायाद्रये नमः ।
ज्योतिर्गणानां पतये दिनाधिपतये नमः ॥ 16 ॥
जयाय जयभद्राय हर्यश्वाय नमो नमः ।
नमो नमः सहस्रांशो आदित्याय नमो नमः ॥ 17 ॥
नम उग्राय वीराय सारङ्गाय नमो नमः ।
नमः पद्मप्रबोधाय मार्ताण्डाय नमो नमः ॥ 18 ॥
ब्रह्मेशानाच्युतेशाय सूर्यायादित्य-वर्चसे ।
भास्वते सर्वभक्षाय रौद्राय वपुषे नमः ॥ 19 ॥
तमोघ्नाय हिमघ्नाय शत्रुघ्नाया मितात्मने ।
कृतघ्नघ्नाय देवाय ज्योतिषां पतये नमः ॥ 20 ॥
तप्त चामीकराभाय वह्नये विश्वकर्मणे ।
नमस्तमोஉभि निघ्नाय रुचये लोकसाक्षिणे ॥ 21 ॥
नाशयत्येष वै भूतं तदेव सृजति प्रभुः ।
पायत्येष तपत्येष वर्षत्येष गभस्तिभिः ॥ 22 ॥
एष सुप्तेषु जागर्ति भूतेषु परिनिष्ठितः ।
एष एवाग्निहोत्रं च फलं चैवाग्नि होत्रिणाम् ॥ 23 ॥
वेदाश्च क्रतवश्चैव क्रतूनां फलमेव च ।
यानि कृत्यानि लोकेषु सर्व एष रविः प्रभुः ॥ 24 ॥
एन मापत्सु कृच्छ्रेषु कान्तारेषु भयेषु च ।
कीर्तयन् पुरुषः कश्चिन्-नावशीदति राघव ॥ 25 ॥
पूजयस्वैन मेकाग्रो देवदेवं जगत्पतिम् ।
एतत् त्रिगुणितं जप्त्वा युद्धेषु विजयिष्यसि ॥ 26 ॥
अस्मिन् क्षणे महाबाहो रावणं त्वं वधिष्यसि ।
एवमुक्त्वा तदागस्त्यो जगाम च यथागतम् ॥ 27 ॥
एतच्छ्रुत्वा महातेजाः नष्टशोकोஉभवत्-तदा ।
धारयामास सुप्रीतो राघवः प्रयतात्मवान् ॥ 28 ॥
आदित्यं प्रेक्ष्य जप्त्वा तु परं हर्षमवाप्तवान् ।
त्रिराचम्य शुचिर्भूत्वा धनुरादाय वीर्यवान् ॥ 29 ॥
रावणं प्रेक्ष्य हृष्टात्मा युद्धाय समुपागमत् ।
सर्वयत्नेन महता वधे तस्य धृतोஉभवत् ॥ 30 ॥
अध रविरवदन्-निरीक्ष्य रामं मुदितमनाः परमं प्रहृष्यमाणः ।
निशिचरपति सङ्क्षयं विदित्वा सुरगण मध्यगतो वचस्त्वरेति ॥ 31 ॥
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे वाल्मिकीये आदिकाव्ये युद्दकाण्डे पञ्चाधिक शततम सर्गः ॥
Aditya Hridayam Stotram Meaning:
1) When Rama was exhausted in the battlefield standing with greater sorrow and deep thought to fight against Ravana who was duly prepared for the battle, Agastya observed that.
2) Agastya who was with other Gods approaches Rama and says as follows.
3) Sage Agastya approached Rama and spoke as follows: dear Rama there is a solution for your worry which is a perennial secret, by reciting it you would be victorious in this war.
4) This is the holy hymn Aditya Hrudayam which destroys all enemies and brings you victory and permanent happiness by chanting it always.
5) This supreme prayer of Sun God always gives happiness, destroys all sins, worries and increases the longevity of life.
6) Worship the Sun God, the ruler of the worlds and lord of the universe, who is worshipped by devas and asuras and who is worshipped by every one of the universes.
7) He has within him all the devas and He is the brightest among the bright, He is self-luminous and sustains all worlds of Devas and Asuras with his rays.
8) He is pervading in all viz., Brahma (the creator), Visnu (the Sustainer), Shiva (the destroyer), Skanda (the son of Siva), Prajapati (progenitor of the human race), the mighty Indra (lord of senses), Kubera (the God of prosperity), Kala (eternal time), Yama (the lord of death), Soma (the moon god that nourishes), and Varuna (God of rain).
9) He is the manes (ancestors); He is the eight Vasus viz., Anala, Anila, Soma, Ahas, Dhara, Dhruva, Pratyoosha and Prabhasa. He is the God Sadhya, Ashwini devatas (Gods of health). He is the maruths who are responsible for the breeze, He is the wind God, He is the fire god, and he is the Manu, Vayu (the wind God), Agni (the fire God), Prana (the Life breath of all beings), the maker of six seasons and the giver of light.
10) He is the son of Adithi, Savitha (bright), Soorya (supreme light), Khaga (bird, travels on the sky,), feeds the world by rain, gabhastiman (possessed of rays) Golden colored (beautiful, wise), always shining, he is the creator, day starts with him.
Aditya – son of Aditi, one who attracts all towards Him
Savitha – one who rule the world, controller of the world
Soorya – one who encourages all, active
Khaga – one who moves in space (bird)
Poosha – one who protects all worlds
Gabhastiman – one who has bright rays
Suvarnasadrisha – golden colored
Bhanu – pervaded in all
Swarnareta – radiant round shaped like a golden egg
Diwakara – one who is the reason for a bright day.
11) He has green horses (green is a symbol of victory). He has thousands of rays (infinite), he is a dispeller of darkness. He has seven horses (symbol of seven lokas). He removes suffering and gives a pleasant life. He pervades all with an immeasurable amount of rays.
Haridashwa – one whose chariot is dragged by green horses
Sahasrarchi – one who has thousands of rays (infinite)
Saptasapti – one whose horses are seven (represents seven Lokas)
Marichiman – whose body radiates rays
Timironmatana – dispeller of darkness
Shambhu – one who gives contentment
Twastha – one who removes sorrow and gives elation
Martanda – one who comes from annihilated creation and again creates
Amshuman – vastness, pervaded in all.
12) He is the golden source (knowledge, prosperity). He who cools down the world from his rain (minds of devotees). He who bestows heat. He is the illuminator (source of light). He is praised by everyone. He who has fire within himself. He is the son of Adhithi and Kashyapa. He merges at night and becomes cool, destroyer of the cold, snow and fog.
Hiranyagarbha – one who has powers of Brahman, prosperity and who is wise (Jnani)
Sishira – one who makes cold by rain produced by him
Tapana – one who generates heat
Bhaskara – one who gives light (Jnana)
Ravi – one who is praised by everyone
Agnigharbha – one who has
Aditeputra – son of Aditi and Kashyapa Maharshi
Shankha – one who becomes cool when he sets
Shisiranashana – one who melts snow, fog and cold
13) He is the lord of the space and ruler of the sky, dispeller of darkness, master of the three Vedas viz., Rig, Yajur and Sama Vedas, he is the reason for heavy rain, and friend of the water God (Varuna), He swiftly courses in the direction South of Vindhya-mountains and sports in the Brahma Nadi (in daxinayana he travels swiftly like a monkey.
Yomanatha – one who is the lord of space and the ruler of sky
Tamobedhi – dispeller of darkness
RigYajuSamaparagha – one who mastered Three Vedas viz., Rig, Yajur and Samaveda
Ghanavrusthi – one who is the reason for heavy rain
Apam-mitra – one who is a friend of Rain God
Vindhyavithiplavangamaha – one who swiftly courses in the direction South of Vindhya-mountains like a monkey
14) He is a producer of heat, his form is circular, he is the death of foes, he is yellow-colored, he gives heat to all things, he is greater brilliance, shining with great radiance and expert in knowledge, pervades in the whole universe, is dear to everyone, sustaining the universe and all actions.
Atapi – one who is the creator of heat
Mandali – round shaped
Mrithyu – death for enemies
Pingala – yellow colored
Sarvatapana – one who makes heat to all things
Kavi – greater brilliance
Vishwa – pervaded in the whole universe
Mahateja – Shining with great radiance
Raktha – one who is dear to everyone
Sarvabhavodbhava – creator of all things
15) Salutations to him who is the lord of stars, planets and zodiac, and the origin of everything in the universe. Salutations to Aditya who appears in twelve forms viz., Indra, Dhata, Bhaga, Pooshana, Mitra, Aryama, Archi, Vivaswan, Twastru, Savitha, Varuna and Vishnu (in the shape of twelve months of the year.
16) Salutations to the Lord who rises from the mounts of east and sets on mounts of the west, Salutations to the Lord of the stellar bodies and to the Lord of daylight.
17) Pray him who has green horses and the bestower of victory, auspiciousness and prosperity. He has a thousand rays and who has the power to attract all towards him.
Jaya – one who brings victory
Jayabhadra – one who gives auspiciousness and prosperity
Haryashwa – one who is carried by Green horses
Sahasramsha – one who has infinite rays
Aditya – son of Aditi, one who attracts all towards Him.
18) Salutations to him who is terrible and fierce one to the sinners, to him who is the hero (controlled senses); one who travels fast, Salutations to the one whose appearance makes the lotus blossom. Salutations to the son of Mrukanda Maharshi.
Ugra – terrible for enemies
Veera – brave (powerful)
Saranga – one who runs swiftly
Padmaprabodha – one whose appearance makes the lotus blossom
Martanda – after that annihilation of the creation one who is able to create it again
19) Salutation to Him who is the inspiration to Trimurtis (Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesha) and inspiration to all creatures, salutation to who is fierce like Rudra at the end of the creation
20) Salutations to the dispeller of the darkness (ignorance) and cold (snow), who is fearful to bad people, Salutations also to the annihilator of the ungrateful and to the Lord of all the stellar bodies, who is the first amongst all the lights of the Universe.
Tamoghna – dispeller of the darkness (ignorance)
Himaghna – one who is the reason for melting snow
Shatrugna – one who punishes ungrateful people
Amitatmane – one who has the enormous will power
Krithagna – annihilator of the ungrateful people
Jyotishampati – lord of the all stellar things
Deva – one whose form is illuminating.
21) Salutations to Him, Who is the color of molten gold and the form of fire, one who burns all, dispeller of darkness, adorable from all and Salutations to Vishvakarma the architect of the universe, the cause of all activity and creation in the world, yet beyond the world.
Taptachamikarabha – whose color is like molten gold
Vahnaye – one who burns all
Vishwakarma – one who is the reason for all actions
Tamobhinighna – dispeller of darkness
Ravi – one who is adored by all
Lokasakshine – one who is witnessed to all
22) Salutation to the Sun God who is able to destroyer all with his rays and then create them again, he can be the producer of rain and also a showered of wisdom as well.
23) The lord Sun God is always awake and abides in the heart of all beings and awake them, he is only the sacrifice and fruit of the sacrifice performed by Yajna.
24) Behind all Vedas, Yagas and fruits of all yagas and results of all actions of the world is Sun God only, he is omnipresent.
25) Oh Raghava, one who chants this prayer in any critical situation viz., physical, mental and spiritual, for sure he will overcome of it and always he is blessed.
26) Do worship Adity by chanting this prayer with even-minded. If you chant three times for sure you will be the conquer of this battle.
27) Agastya Maharshi says to Rama that “you would kill Ravana within a moment,” and left that battlefield, Agastya had come to Rama to teach this holy hymn of Son God. With the grace of Gods, he encourages Rama with his meditation power.
28) Hearing the holy words of Agasthya with even minded Rama became rejuvenated and came out of the momentary fearful situation; his clouds of worry got dispelled, with enthusiastically started chanting the prayer of Son God.
29) Himself being purified concentrated on Sun God; Rama recited the prayer thrice with achamana (sipping water) then thrilled and lifted his holy bow.
30) Rama facing Ravana with the greater spirit who was coming to fight with his all effort determined to kill Ravana.
31) Then Aditya surrounded by all Gods appears and blesses Rama with great mental and physical strength and ordered to kill Ravana.