Specific rituals are to be followed during Chhath puja, known as Chhath Puja Vidhi. Furnished below is a step-by-step guide to the Chhath Puja Vidhi.
Chhath Puja Vidhi:
1) A clean red cloth is spread over the holy area or the puja sthan.
2) Idols of Lord Ganesha and the Sun God are placed on the red cloth.
3) The process of worship begins by applying vermillion on the forehead of Lord Ganesha and Lord Surya.
4) Put unbroken rice grains on the forehead of the idols.
5) Light incense sticks and wave gently in front of the idols.
6) Light the lamp of ghee in front of the idols and offer Prasad to Lord Ganesha and Lord Surya.
7) Take a little sandal in devotee’s mouth and keep it till sunrise.
8) After taking the sandal in the mouth the devotee can either stand still or sit till the sunrise.
9) Visit a Surya Mandir (Sun Temple), only if there is one nearby.
10) Perform the same puja rituals after the sunrise.
11) Offer holy water to the rising sun.
12) Distribute the khajur (date) among family members and friends.