Shani Shingnapur Temple is a popular Shani Deva Temple situated at Shingnapur, Nevasa taluk, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. This means a ‘self-evolved deity. The Hindu God symbolising the planet Saturn and the presiding deity here is ‘Swayambhu’ emerged himself in the form of the black stone. Saturdays, Amavasya and Shri Shaneshchar Jayanti are the holiest days.
Worshipers believe that the Shani Shingnapur temple is a “jagrut devasthan” which translates to “alive temple”, which means that the deity still resides in the black stone to date. At Shani, Shingnapur women are not allowed to touch the diety but they are allowed to have darshan. Saturday is believed auspicious for Lord Shani so devotees will be more on this day. For more than 400 years women were not allowed to enter the temple.
From 8 April 2016, the temple opened its gates for women after they protested furiously against the tradition. Shingnapur is also famous for the fact that no house in the village has doors, only door frames.
Rules to follow by the devotees if they to get on the platform to worship Shanidev:
- Only men can be allowed on the platform to worship Shanidev.
- The devotee should take a head bath and climb onto the platform in wet clothes.
- The devotee should be bareheaded (he should not wear a cap or cloth to cover his head).
- Collect water from the holy well to worship Lord Shani.
- Devotees also use sesame oil for worship.
Shani Shingnapur Temple Timings:
Shaneswara temple will be open 24 hours a day.
Shani Shingnapur Aarti Timings:
1st Arti 5:30 AM
2nd Arti 9:30 AM
3rd Arti 12:30 PM
4th Arti 8:30 PM
Shani Shingnapur Prasad Timings:
Shanidevs’s Prasad is distributed all days for devotees at Prasadalay Building with a nominal fee.
Morning: 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Evening: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Nominal Amount Per Person
Shani Shingnapur Temple History:
According to folklore, Shinganapur was inundated by heavy rains. An idol came to Shinganapur with the floodwaters. The idol hit a berry tree. When normal life was restored, the shepherds came to this place for grazing their cattle. The shepherds noticed an idol among the structure between the branches and pushed the idol with their sticks. Surprisingly, blood began to flow from the idol. The shepherds struggled to remove the idol, but all their efforts were in vain and they left the idol in one place.
Lord Shani Deva appeared in a cowherd’s dreams and showed them the steps to pull the idol. Lord Shani Dev has indicated that Idol can only be taken away from his maternal uncle and nephew. The devotees after pulling the idol tried to install it in its place but it did not work. After extensive testing, Idol successfully settled into the current open location. The present form of the temple was built by Sri Jawahar Mal, who was blessed with Son while praying for Shani Dev.
Shani Shingnapur Dress Code:
For Male Devotee: Saffron colored Dhoti
For Women Devotee: Saree with blouse/ Punjabi Dress with Dupatta / Chudidhar with Dupatta
Why and how is Shanidev is Worshipped:
- After a pure bath, men should go to the deity’s foundation dressed in a wet cloth.
- Women cannot go to the foundation.
- If Shani is coming into your ‘rasi’
- If you are afflicted by Sade Saathi.
- If there is ‘adayya’ in your ‘rasi.’
- If you are suffering from the gaze of God Shani.
- If you are working in anything
such as connected to iron, travel, trucks, transport, oil, petroleum, medical, press and courts.
- If you do any good work.
- If your occupation is related to commerce and there is a loss in business and worry thereof.
- If you are suffering from incurable diseases like cancers, AIDS, kidney, leprosy, paralysis, heart ailments, diabetes, skin ailments and are fed up, then you should most certainly worship God Shani with ‘abhishek’.
- One must remove the cap or headgear and then pray to God.
In the houses of devotees where there has been a birth or death recently, they do not go to the deity.
Shani Shingnapur Temple Festivals:
Shri Shaneshchar Jayanti (Shani’s birthday)
Sant Eknath Shasthi
From Chaitra Shuddha Dashami to Chaitrya Vadya Pratipada, the chanting of God’s name and ‘Granthraj Dnyaneshwari Parayan’ is recited continuously.
During this period, prayers are performed as follows:
- Early in the morning from 4:00 AM to 5:00 AM Kakada Aart.
- 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM Vishnu Sahastra naam.
- 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM Dnyaneshwari Vaachan.
- 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM Sangeet Bhajan.
- 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM Pravachan
- 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM Haripaatha and
- 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM Hari Keertan and Jaagar.
Shani Shingnapur Temple Address:
Shri Shanaishwar Devasthan
Maharashtra – 414 105.
Telephone:+91 2427 238110 , +91 2427 238108