Besan Ladoo is a healthy sweet recipe made with Gram flour, Ghee, Cardamom, Sugar and Almonds. This Laddu is prepared for the Deepavali festival. This Famous laddu is popularly known as Besan Ladoo in North India, Senagapindi Laddu in Andhra & Telangana and Kadalai Maavu Laddu in Tamil Nadu.
Also Read – Besan Ladoo with Jaggery Recipe
Besan Laddoo Ingredients:
- Besan/Gram Flour/Senaga Pindi/Kadalai Maavu – 2 Cups
- Ghee/Clarified Butter/Neyyi – 1/2 Cups
- Green Cardamom – 4
- Sugar – 1 Cups
- Almonds – 12-15
Besan Ladoo Preparation Method:
- In a wok or Kadai, dry roast the besan till it starts to change color to light brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Grind sugar and cardamom powder together to a fine powder.
- Sieve besan to remove all lumps.
- Slice the almonds in half length-wise.
- Over low heat, in a heavy-bottomed Kadai/wok, melt the ghee.
- Add the sieved, roasted besan and mix well.
- Roast the ghee-besan mix over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let it cool till just warm.
- While the ghee-besan mix is still warm, add the powdered sugar and cardamom. Mix well.
- Let this mix rest for 2 to 3 hours. It will harden a bit.
- With a heavy spatula, mix well.
- Take about a spoonful of the besan mix and mould it into a round ball.
- Press in half an almond onto each laddoo.
- Let the besan laddoos rest for 2-3 hours.
Make sure the besan is roasted well. Otherwise, it would smell raw. If u r not able to make balls, add 1 tbsp of more ghee and make balls. Adding less ghee than the mentioned quantity gives dry balls. Adding too much ghee makes the balls shapeless. It won’t be firm. U can also try adding little milk to make balls but shelf-life gets reduced. Adjust the sugar according to your taste buds. Before shaping the balls, just taste it and add more if u need.