śrīdattātreyāṣṭakam Lyrics in English:
sridattatreyaya namah ।
adau brahmamunisvaram hariharam sattvam-rajastamasam
brahmandam ca trilokapavanakaram traimurtiraksakaram ।
bhaktanamabhayartharupasahitam so'ham svayam bhavayan
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 1॥
visvam visnumayam svayam sivamayam brahmamunindromayam
brahmendradisuraganarcitamayam satyam samudromayam ।
saptam lokamayam svayam janamayam madhyadivṛksomayam
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 2॥
adityadigraha svadhaṛsiganam vedoktamarge svayam
vedam sastra-puranapunyakathitam jyotisvarupam sivam ।
evam sastrasvarupaya trayagunaistrailokyaraksakaram
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 3॥
kailasadinivasinam sasidharam rudraksamalagalam ।
haste capa-dhanuhsarasca musalam khatvangacarmadharam
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 4॥
suddham cittamayam suvarnamayadam buddhim prakasomayam
bhogyam bhogamayam nirahatamayam muktiprasannomayam ।
dattam dattamayam digambaramayam brahmandasaksatkaram
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 5॥
so'hamrupamayam paratparamayam nihsanganirliptakam
nityam suddhanirañjanam nijagurum nityotsavam mangalam ।
satyam jñanamanantabrahmahṛdayam vyaptam parodaivatam
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 6॥
kasayam karadandadharapurusam rudraksamalagalam
bhasmoddhulitalocanam kamalajam kolhapuribhiksanam ।
kasisnanajapadikam yatigurum tanmahurivasitam
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 7॥
kṛsnatiranivasinam nijapadam bhaktarthasiddhipradam
muktim dattadigambaram yatigurum nastiti lokañjanam ।
satyam satyamasatyalokamahima praptavyabhagyodayam
so'ham dattadigambaram vasatu me citte mahatsundaram ॥ 8॥
iti srimacchankaracaryaviracitam sridattastakam sampurnam ।
Shri Dattashtakam is a Sanskrit stotra. It is a beautiful creation of Shri Aadi Shankaracharya. Whosoever recites this Stotra, receives all type of happiness, becomes free from all troubles, difficulties, success in all endeavors, his life becomes peaceful.
However this Shri Dattashtakam is to be recited daily with faith, concentration and devotion to receive all the benefits as above.
Shri Dattashtakam starts with bowing to God Dattatreya.
1) God Dattatreya is incarnation of God Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. So he is having all three virtues which are Raja, Tama and Satva. Brahmanda and three lokas (Pruthavi, Patala and Swarga) have become pious because of Trimurthy’s presence (God Dattatreya). Trimurthy that is God Dattatreya is protector of this Brahmanda. He protects his devotees and makes them free from fear. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
2) This world is filled by God Vishnu, God Vishnu is filled with God Shiva and God Brahma along with God Shiva is filled by God Dattatreya. He (God Dattatreya) is worshiped by God Brahma and other Gods. He himself is in all the lokas and resides in the hearts (which are like oceans) of the peoples. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
3) The Sun and All the Grahas (planets), the rushies who perform Yagnyas, pious Vedas, and Puranas have described God Dattareya just like God Shiva in a form of jyoti swaroopa (pious divine light). God Dattateya as described above in Shastras and Vedas is the protector of three lokas (Pruthavi, Patala and Swarga). Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
4) God Dattatreya creates, protects and destroys everything. So also he makes everybody free from the bondage of life. He resides on the pious Kailsa parvata (mountain), he has held moon on his head, and worn rudraksha garlands. He has many weapons in his hands. Bow, Arrows, Chap, Musal, Khatvag are these weapons. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
5) God Dattreya is having a very pious Chitta (mind), his body is shining like pure gold and his intelligence appears on his face. He is enjoyment for his devotees. He makes us free from bondage of life and ongoing process of birth and death again and again. God Dattatreya becoming as Dattatreya give his blessings to the Brahmanda. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
6) God Dattatreya is like Oma roopa (form), supreme, impartial, selfless, pious, without any attachments, happy, my guru (master) and always as pious as divine light. He is truth, the true knowledge, occupied all the Brahmanda (World), he is our God and hence Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
7) God Dattreya has held danda in his hand, wore rudraksha garlands around his neck, hands and wrists, he has applied Bhasma (pious ash) on his body, his eyes are like lotus, he found in Kolhapur performing pious Bhiksha (people give food to him in the afternoon). He performs his pious Snana (bath), Japas in pious kashi (Banaras) and he resides in Mahur. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
8) The people who resides on the bank of Krishna river worships God Dattatreya’s Paduka (foot prints) and receives blessings from him. There is no other than God Dattateya who gives us Mukti (makes us free from bondage of life, sorrow and all difficulties). Aadi Shankaracharya says it is very true and God Dattatreya is for our protection, help, happiness and giving blessings to us. Aadi Shankaracharya requests God Dattreya to reside in his mind always.
Thus here completes Shri Dattashtakam created by Aadi Shankaracharya.
People having Mercury (Budha) in the first house (Ascendant) in their horoscope are found short and with a round face. They are intelligent. They like to learn many languages. They are very practical, professional having calculating nature and inquisitive. Mercury in good rashies in this house makes people attractive and they influence other people. These people have a humorous nature and hence others are attracted by them. They have got a good imaginative power. These people have a habit of talking with a laugh. Mercury controls the nervous system and functions of mind. Hence Mercury in yuti yoga with Saturn, Harshal, Rahu or Mars affects the nervous system. Mercury in yuti yoga with Venus in this house makes people good singers, artists or good orators.