Vinayaka temple in the western gate of the Palace:
This temple is located inside of the fort in the western gate. Lord Vinayaka swamy’s idol is consecrated in a small temple. Daily poojas are being performed.
Kodi Someshwaraswamy Temple:
The temple dedicated to Lord Shiva in the form of Bhairava derives its name because of its location in the past. The modest little Shrine stood the weir or ‘Kodi’ of Devaraya sagara or Doddakere. Today, it is just on the outskirts of the Palace Fort and Devaraya Sagara in Dasara Exhibition Complex.
This temple is of great importance for the history of Mysuru as this was the spot where the Founders of Mysuru Kingdom, Yaduraya and Krishnaraya were met by the Royal Priest which caused the founding of the Mysuru Kingdom. The little shrine houses an image of Bhairava which is less than a metre high.
The deity holds in his four hands, a tridment, a drum and a skull and a sword as sickle in her uplifted right hand. Chauri bearer is standing to the right of Bhairava.
In the first quarter of this century, when the congested buildings in the Palace Fort were being removed, there was an attempt to demolish this historically important ancient temple. However, Krishnaraja Wodeyar 4th, stopped demolition considering its past association with the Mysore Dynasty.
Kille Venkataramana Swami Temple:
During the time of Tipu, the Mysore Wodeyar Family was still in Srirangapatana. Queen Lakshmammanni, wife of Krishnaraja Wodeyar II was deeply worried about the Dynasty and its future. Then Lord Venkataramana said to have appeared in her dream, and directed her that his statue which is in balamuri should be consecreated in Mysuru. By this pious act, her Dynasty would get Salvation.
It is therefore, She proceeded to Balamuri without the knowledge of the Sultan and brought the image of Venkataramana, consecrated it in the temple, and offered continuous worship. This is said to have helped the family and after the fall of Tipu Sultan, the Kingdom was restored to the Wodeyar Dynasty.
Sri Bhuvaneshwari Temple:
The temple of Bhuvaneshwari is located on the northern side of the Palace Fort corresponding to the Varahaswami temple in the south, thus providing a symmetrical structure in the fort complex. It was constructed by Sri jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in the year 1951.
The temple tower is in typical Dravidian style. The principal Deity Bhuvaneshwari was carved by the famous Architect-Sculptor, of Surya, Mahavishnu, Maheshvara, Rajarajeshwari, Ganapati and Chamundeshwari are also the works of the said famous Sculptor. One of the important objects in the temple is a copper Surya Mandala which is said to have been transferred from the Palace to this temple by H.H. Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar.
Sri Gayatri Temple:
The temple of Gayatri is located in the south-east comer of the Fort directly corresponding to the Trinayaneshawara Swami temple was also constructed by Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in 1953. Within the enclosure are three shrines dedicated to Savitri, Gayatri and Saraswathi.
The Nvaranga or pillared Hall of the temple has the sculptures of Ganesha, Shiva, Suryanarayana, and Mahavishnu. All the sculptures have been carved by the famous Mysore Sculptor Shlpi siddalingaswamy.
Sri Lakshmiramana Swami Temple:
This temple is one of the oldest temples in the city. It is located towards the western part of the Fort, inside the Palace. An inscription found in Cole’s Gardens (present day Bannimantap) registers a Grant for God Lakshmiramana in A.D.1499 by an order of Vijayanagar King Narasanayaka, farther of Krishnadevaraya. According to Annals of the Mysore Royal family a half blind Brahmin had cured his blindness around the year 1599 at the interposition of Raja Wodeyar. A standing figure of the King in Anjalimudra (folded hands) facing the God commemorates this act.
Another miracle is also recorded in the Annals. Virarajayya, a Chieftain of Karugahalli, failed in his attempts to prevent Raja Wodeyar from passing through his dominion to the temple of Srikantheshvara in Nanjanagud. To avenge his defeat, Virarajayya, bribed Srinivasaiah, the Priest of Lakshmiramanaswami temple to poison to Raja Wodeyar. The King would offer prayer in this temple everday. One morning the priest hand mixed poison in the sacred water (Tirtha) and when he was offering it to Raja Wodeyar, his hands violently trembled. On questioning, the priest confessed the fact that the sacred water contained poison. The King drank the sacred water (Tirtha) which according to the Annals “Turned from poison into nectar in his throat”. The priest was punished by being transferred a nose of the Kannambadi (K.R.S) The ears and nose of the Karugahalli Chief were cut off, his fort was destroyed and bouty from his treasure were offered to the Royal family, Goddess Chmundeshwari. As an offering to Lakshmiramana for saving his life, Raja Wodeyar, built the Mahadwara to the temple, with a tall tower (Gopuram) embellished it with Golden finials. An inscription in the temple dated November 30, 1851, records that Krishnaraja Wodeyar got the doorway and dilapidated tower renovated. The handsome mantapa on the rear side of the temple was constructed by Kanthirava Narasaraja Wodeyar ( 1638-1659 A.D.). the temple is also important as all the Religious Ceremonies in connection with the coronation of child Raja Krishnaraja wodeyar were held in this temple on june-30-1799.
Sri Prasanna Krishnaswami Temple:
The Mysore Dynasty claims its descent from Yadu Vamsa (Yadu Race) founded by Sri Krishna of Mahabharata. Therefore, Krishnaraja Wodeyar 3 felt sad that there was no temple dedicated to Krishna. To fulfil this lacuna, he started the construction of Sri Prasanna Krishna temple in 1825 and according to inscription it was completed in 1829. In the sanctum-santorum is a pretty image of lord Krishna (Ambegalu Krishna is crawling posture) made of chlorite schist. He has a butter bal in his hand and has a Juvenile expression.
To commemorate this pious act of Krishnaraja wodeyar III, worship is offered to his sculpture along with his wives to this day in the temple. Krishnaraja Wodeyar III himself has given Grants to this temple and presented bronze images of Gods and Goddesses, Saints and sages, each inscribed with its name. On the exterior of the temple is the sculpture of the Sage Atri. According to tradition, the sculpture of Atri was set up as krishnaraja Wodeyar belonged to Atreya Gotra and that the first Priest of the temple also belonged to this Gotra. Like Varahaswami temple, this temple is also known for the murals on the walls of the Navaranga (the central pillared hall). The murals depict stories from Bhagavata. The murals of this temple and of Varahaswami temple are examples of 19th Century Mysore paintings.
Sri Shweta Varahaswami Temple:
This temple is located near the southern gate –way of the Fort. It is constructed in the typical Hoysala style. The processional image of the temple has an inscription which records that it was the gift of King Chikka Devaraja Wodeyar (1673-1704). The stone image of Shweta Varahaswami, now in the sanctum-sanctorum, was brought from Srimushna, in Tamil Nadu by Chikka Devaraja Wodeyar and consecrated in anew temple at Srirangapatna which was the then capital. This temple was destroyed by Tipu Sultan and later in 1809, the Deity was brought to Mysore and consecrated in the present temple, constructed by Dewan Purnaiah as per the wishes of Krishnaraja Wodeyar III.
The temple has “an elegantly carved doorway, well executed pillars and a good tower.” It also houses inscribed image of Srivaishnava saints Desikar and Jeeyar. One of the important features of this temple is the mural paintings on the walls and in the Navaranga or the pillared hall. The murals represent scenes from Ramayana and Bhagavatha, particularly the exploits of Krishna etc. these murals are in good state of preservation. The temple is with in a high walled enclosure and the south-eastern wakk also a mural representing the coronation of Rama (Rama pattabhisheka). The painted inscription below the panel states that ten painting was executed on Monday the 2, of bright half of the month Magha in the cyclic year Bhava of Shaka Era 1797 (A.D.1875).
Sri Kote Anjaneya Temple:
This temple has been built close to the northern gate of the palace. It is learnt that the statue of Lord Anjaneya was obtained in Belagola. There is a `Garuda gamba `of 40 heights in front of the temple. It is illumined on the top. The idol is very beautiful. Most of the people of the city visit this temple dawn to dusk to offer prayer and sevas.
South Side Sri Anjaneya swamy Temple:
This temple is located near the Southern gate of the Palace. The idol of 20’ height is in standing posture made of singal shila (Rock). It is learnt that this temple was built in 1809 during Dewan Poornaiah`s period. Hence daily poojas are being performed.
Anajaneya and Sri Chamundeshwari Temple:
Previously the above two temples were in the Poorniah Choultry. The choultry was demolished to enable the construction of M.G.Road (Vani Vialas Raod). The two temples are retained in the midst of M.G.Road. It is learnt that the above two temples were built during the period of Dewan Poorniah.
Sri Kamakameshwari Temple:
This temple is in Ramanuja Road at Mysuru. It was built by H.H. Sri Jayachamaraja Wodiyar in 1953. The entire temple is built by stone. The idols were carved on a single stone by the famous shilpi Sri Siddalingaswamigalu. In front of Kamakameswari idol, a Shivalingam named Vijavesweswara has been consecrated. two time Abhishekam and poojas are being carried out daily. Inside the temple idols of Mahaganapathi, Suryanarayana, Bhairaveswara, Mahavishnu, Subramanya etc are there. In front of main deity a very beautiful and attractive Bull (Nandi) has been consecrated. In the prakara (around the temple) very beautiful carved idols of many avatars of Shivashakthi, Chandikeshwara, Navagraha have been placed in separate rock frames.
Kote Sri siddi Vinayaka Temple:
This temple is located near the north gate (Jayararam gate) of the Mysuru Palace. The idol is very small but very beautiful. Sri Sri Jayachamaraja Wodiyar has built this temple. Mukhamantapa has been built in front to enable the devotees to stand and pray to God. The previous Maharaja used to go by this gate and prostrate to Lord Ganesha before leaving for any auspicious work. Hundreds of devotees came to this temple for darshan and offer sevas daily. The Lord Ganesha will be decorated with butter daily even today.
Sri Chandramouleshwara Temple:
This temple is outside of the northern gate of the palace fort. Here the Shivalingam is being worshipped. This was built by Sri Sanjeeva Raja Urs a relative of Maharaja. Every day poojas is being offered.
Sri ThrineshwaraSwamy Temple:
This is an ancient temple which existed even before the time of Raja Wodeyar, located outside the original Mysore Fort, on the bank of Devaraya sagara (doddakere). It was during the time of Kanteerava Narasaraja Wodeyar and his successor Dodda Devaraja Wodeyar that the Fort was enlarged and the Trinayaneshwara temple came within the fort. The temple itself was enlarged and renovated. Kanteerava Narasaraja Wodeyar constructed a verandah and consecrated five Lingas and several Deities including Dakshinamurthy, Kshetrapala, Kumara and Surya. His own stone portrait in Anjalimudra (folded hands) was also set up. The sculpture of Dodda Devaraja Wodeyar in the same posture stands by its side. It is said that the temples of shiva facing west are sacred. The Sthalapurana (Local Traition) explains the popular name Trinayaneshwara.
Sage Trinabindu is said to have performed tapas (penance) in this spot directed towards Shiva who pleased, appeared before him and sage Trinabindu consecrated the Lingam here. Hence the Lingam is Trineshwara. Since Shiva has three eyes, the Deity is also called as Trinayneshwara. The sculpture of Trinabindu, less than half a metre in height, is also found in the temple complex. The carved mahadvara (outer gate) is lofty. There are as in usal in Dravidian temples no arches. The enclosure is almost filled with lingas and shrines including a new white marble figure of Adi Shankaracharya with 4 Sisyas. On a platform under a papal tree, are many elaborately carved naga (snake) stones .
The temple has an enclosure wall, with a Mahadwara said to have been originally surmounted by Gopuram (tower). This tower is said to have been destroyed during the late 18th century A.D.
Devirammani Sri Ganapathi Temple:
This temple has been built by maharaja in the Deveerammanni Agrahara situated in Ramanuja Road of Mysuru. Arrangements have been made for daily poojas. Devotes came daily for darshan of the Lord Ganesha.
Sri Bairaveshwara Temple:
This temple is in the Harischandra Road, in Mysuru. H.H. Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar has built up this temple. Sri Bairaweshwara, the Shiva Lingam and Goddess Parvathy idols were consecrated. Behind the temple near the Oudhumbara tree, Lord Dattathreya idol has been consecrated. Many of the devotees daily visit this temple and offer poojas.
Sri Vitoba Swami Temple:
This temple is outside of the southern gate of the palace. Temple is very small in structure but very beautiful. Lord Panduranga vitala and Goddess Lakshmi statues are constructed here. Daily Poojas are being performed.
Sri Jwalamukhi Tripura Sundaramma Temple:
Devi Mahathme is called as `Durga Shakthi; in `Devi Mahatme’ there is a description about the killing of Raktabeejasura. Raktabeejasura had a boon if a drop of blood from his body falls on the ground, then an equally strong Asura was raising from the very spot. Chandika Devi was fighting with the Asura with her powerful weapons and the blood was flowing in the earth. Thousands of Asuras were rising from the earth. Devi was killing those Asuras and she was perturbed. Very much afraid The Devatas were watching this great war and were the Devi prayed to ma. Kali, requesting here to expand her tongue so that blood will not fall in the earth. She can drink all the blood at swallow all the Asuras. Ma. Kali obliged the prayer she expanded her tongue drank all the blood and swallowed all the Asuras. The same ma.Kali is being adorned in Uttanahalli as Jwala Tripura Sundari. She is also famous as Jwalamuki.
The Jwalamuki Tripura Sundari temple is situated in Uttanahally behind the Chamundi Hills in eastern side. The environment around the temple is very good and beautiful. The idol of Devi is in sitting, and extending her tongue out side. Devotees can visit this temple from Mysuru & Nanjangud main road, and from Chamundi Hills also, short cut road from T.Narasipur ring road. Thousands of devotees visit this temple daily and offering puja to Devi.
Chamundeshwari Temple Darshana and Pooja Timings:
Morning: 7.30 AM to 2.00 PM
Afternoon: 3.30 PM to 6.00 PM
Evening: 7.30 PM to 9.00 PM
Abhisheka Timings :
Morning: 6.00 AM to 7.30 AM
Evening: 6.00 PM to 7.30 PM
On Fridays: 5.00 AM to 6.30 AM
Chamundi Hill Chamundeswari Temple:
Sri Chamundeshwari Temple,
Chamundi Hill, Mysuru – 570010
Office Phone: +91 08212590027
Temple Phone Number: +91 08212590127
Fax: 0821 – 2590082