Ugadi Pachadi is a very special Pachadi / dish prepared on Ugadi festival. Ugadi / Telugu New Year is celebrated by Telugu talking peoples in a grand manner.
Neem flowers Petals: 2 teaspoons
Grated Raw mango: 2 Tablespoons
Tamarind: A small lemon size ball.
Green chilies: ½ teaspoon (finely chopped)
Salt: quarter teaspoon
Jaggery (gud) : ½ Cup (powdered)
Banana (Ripe) : 1 No.(chopped to small pieces) (optional)
How to Prepare Ugadi Pachadi:
1) Soak tamarind in water for 15 to 20 min. and make pulp. the pulp should be thin and watery. (approximately 3 cups).
2) Add some jaggery mix it well till it dissolves completely.
3) Them you can add neem flower petals, sliced green chilies, Chopped banana, salt and small mango pieces.
4) Mix them well. Thus our Ugadi New Year Special Ugadi Pachadi.
The Six Tastes of Ugadi Pachadi:
Each ingredient denotes the six tastes of life:
- Sadness – Neem Buds/Flowers for its bitterness.
- Happiness – Jaggery and ripe banana pieces for sweetness.
- Anger – Green Chilli/Pepper for its hot taste.
- Fear – Salt for saltiness.
- Disgust – Tamarind Juice for its sourness.
- Surprise – Unripened Mango for its tang.