Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the singer and also on the environment. Most mantras and Vedic prayers begin with Om.
All auspicious actions begin with Om. It is even used as a greeting: Om, Hari Om, etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated. Its form is worshipped, contemplated or used as a sign of auspiciousness.
Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is formed by the letters A (phonetically as in “around”), U (phonetically as in “put”) and M (phonetically as in “mum”). The sound that emerges from the vocal cords starts at the base of the throat with “A”. With the union of the lips, “U” is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end with “M”.
The three letters symbolize the three states (awakening, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Lord Brahma, Sri Vishnu and Lord Shiva), the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suva), and so on. Lord is all this and beyond.
The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two Om Chants. Om is also called pranava which means, “that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised”. The entire essence of the Vedas is consecrated in the word Om. It is said that the Lord began to create the world after singing Om and Atha. Therefore, it is considered that its sound creates a propitious beginning for any task we undertake. The Om Chant must have the sound of a bell (aaooommm).
Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolizes that of Lord Ganesha. The upper curve is the head; the big bottom, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semicircular mark with the dot, the candy ball (modaka) in the hand of Lord Ganesha. Thus, Om symbolizes everything: the means and purpose of life, the world and the truth behind it, the material and the sacred, all forms and the immaterial.
Surprising Benefits Of Chanting Om
1) Chanting of Om Mantra purifies the environment around you and creates positive vibrations.
2) Your concentration increases when you chant this universal hymn.
3) Om chanting gives you better immunity and a power of self-healing.
4) Improves your concentration and help you concentrate.
5) chanting Om produces a vibration and sound that is felt through the vocal chords and paranasal sinuses. The vibrations open the sinuses to clear the airways.
6) It can put you in a meditative state that gives you deep relaxation.
7) Om benefits not only the person who chants it, but also the people around it, wherever their vibrations flow.
8) Om Mantra has cardiovascular benefits: by relaxing the mind and body, our blood pressure will decrease and our heart will beat with a steady rhythm.
9) The om chanting really improves your voice by giving strength to your vocal cords and the muscles around them. This is very useful during old age.
10) It is said that rubbing one’s hands while chanting om and putting those hands on different parts of the body heals or activates those parts of the body.
11) Through chanting and meditation, you can have better control over your emotions, allowing you to see situations with a clear and rational mind.
12) The regular chant of this mantra will take you on a spiritual journey to greater happiness and positivity, but only if it is done daily for a longer period of time. Mantras are not a solution to your problems overnight, you must have patience and learn the right techniques.
13) When OM Mantra is chanted in a group, the effects are amplified and it will produce huge positive vibrations that will charge the whole neighborhood.
14) Our experience is that Om can even help cleanse your skin. The massive levels of positive internal energy and a clean aura that has just been chanting the Om Mantra regularly will be reflected externally with a sunny glow on the face and body.
15) Your spinal cord is reinforced by the vibrations caused by the sound of Aaaa. As this sound is generated from the abdomen, it helps to strengthen the supporting muscles of the spinal cord.
16) The uuu sound is created by vocal cords that benefit the thyroid glands and throat.
17) If you look at the spiritual eye as you chant, your sight will begin to improve.