This dish is prepared with Green gram (Moong daal, Pesalu, Pacchai Payir or Hesaru bele) and rice as the primary ingredients. According to the Paaka Shasthras (cooking science), if the naivedhya cooked with the ingredients in the ratio of 2:1 (2 cups of green gram with 1 cup of rice) is said to be the Best or supreme. It’s Good cooked with 1:1 ratio, medium if 1:2 and low if 1:4 or higher.
It is said that Shachi Devi, the wife of Indra, offered such supreme Pongal / Mudganna mixed with ginger to the Lord and got rid of her troubles.
Two kinds of Pongal – 1. Sweet Pongal, 2. Spicey Pongal.
Sweet Pongal Preparation
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups of Split / Yellow grams
- ¼ cup grated Jaggery
- 5 each of Cashew nuts and Kismiss
- 2 tbsp Ghee
Sweet Pongal Preparation:
1) Saute the split grams in a heavy bottom pan it till they turn fragrant.
2) Clean the rice twice properly and place the fried grams and rice in a pressure coocker.
3) Add 2 ¼ cups of water,
4) Add ¼ cup water to grated jaggery.
5) Stay for 4 or 5 whistles and switch off.
6) Now saute the cashew nuts and Kismis in the ghee.
7) When the pressure from the cooker is down, remove the lid, pour the ghee and fried cashew nuts, kismis in the dish and stri well the rice. Again close the lid and stay for a few minutes.
8) Jiggery pongal is ready.
Pepper Pongal / Ven Pongal Recipe
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 2 Tsoons pepper
- 2 Tspoons jeera
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- 10 cashew nuts
- ½ tspoon ginger paste or 1inch piece of well beaten ginger
- 1 tspoon Jeera
- 1 string curry leaves
Pepper Pongal Preparation:
1) Saute moong dal in a frying pan for 3 minutes.
2) Add 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add the rice and moong dal. Pressure cook it for 5 to 6 whistles and switch off.
3) Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, add ghee and when it heats up, saute one by one the pepper, jeera, cashew nuts, ginger and curry leaves.
4) When the pressure from the cooker gets down, remove the lid, add the fried items and stir well. You ca add some more ghee if necessary or to taste. Again close the lid and stay for a few minutes
5) Serve hot with chutney or sambar.