Madurai Meenakshi Sundareshwarar Temple also known as Madurai Meenakshi Temple is a historic Hindu temple located on the south bank of the Vaigai River in the temple city of Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Lord Shiva is worshipped as Sundareshwar and his consort Parvati as goddess Meenakshi Amman.
The temple is at the center of the ancient city of Madurai temple mentioned in Tamil Sangam literature, along with the temple of the goddess mentioned in texts from the 6th century CE. This temple is one of the Paadal Petra Sthalam. The Paadal Petra sthalam are 275 temples of Lord Shiva which are worshiped in the verses of Tamil Saiva Nayanars from the 6th-9th centuries AD.
Meenakshi Meenakshi Temple:
|Thiruvanandal pooja||5:00 AM to 6:00 AM|
|Vizha pooja||6:30 AM to 7:15 AM|
|Kalasandhi pooja||6:30 AM to 7:15 AM|
|Thrikalasandhi pooja||10:30 AM to 11:15 AM|
|Uchikkala Pooja (Noon Pooja)||10:30 AM to 11:15 AM|
|Maalai pooja||4:30 PM to 5:15 PM|
|Ardhajama Pooja (Night Pooja)||7:30 PM to 8:15 PM|
|Palliarai pooja||9:30 PM to 10:00 PM|
All the above-mentioned poojas are performed every day, time is subject to change on Festival days and holidays.
Meenakshi Meenakshi Timing: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm
Madurai Meenakshi Temple Festivals:
|Serial No.||Name of Tamil Month||Detail of the Festival|
|1||Chithirai||April – May||Chithirai Brahamostavam – Arumigu Thirukkalyanam.|
|2||Vaikasi||May -June||Vasantham Festival|
|3||Aani||June- July||Unjal Festival|
|4||Aadi||July- Aug||Aadi – Mulai Kottu Festival|
|5||Aavani||Aug.-Sep||Aavani Moolam Festival – ” Puttukku Mansumantha Leela Festival”|
|6||Purattasi||Sep – Oct||Navarathri festival|
|7||Ayppasi||Oct -Nov||Kolattam Festival|
|8||Karthikai||Nov -Dec||Kolattam Festival|
|9||Margali||Dec -Jan||Thiruvathirai – Arudhra Dharsan Festival and Thiruvembavai and Thiruppavai Festival.|
|10||Thai||Jan- Feb||A major portion of Utsavam is performed in the A/M Meenakshi Sundareswarar temple. Thepporstovam in A/M Mariyamman temple Theppam.|
|11||Masi||Feb – March||Masi – Mandala utsavam for 48 days.|
|12||Panguni||March – April||Summar Vasantham Festival|
Madurai Meenakshi Temple Dos and Dont’s:
- Devotees should not enter the temple without taking bath.
- Devotees should not enter the temple wearing shorts, Lunges, and caps.
- Chewing betel leaves, tobacco, Gutka is prohibited inside the temple.
- Devotees are not allowed to enter the temple with footwear or socks
- Devotees with uncomfortable injuries are not allowed inside the temple.
- Female devotees should not enter the temple for the first 5 days of their menstruation period.
- Devotees should maintain discipline and follow the rules of Vaidhika Dharma.
- Cleaning of the temple should be maintained.
- Smoking and Spitting inside the temple is strictly prohibited.
- Devotees can get more or specific information from the Executive Officer of the temple.
- Umbrella, Sticks, Materials made of animal skin should not be brought inside the temple.
Madurai Meenakshi Temple Address:
Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple,
Tamilnadu – 625001.
Telephone : +91452 234 4360