Shri Shankaracharya Stotra of 108 Names Lyrics in English:
॥ srisankaracaryastottarasatanamastotram ॥
srisankaracaryavaryo brahmanandapradayakah ।
ajnanatimiradityassujnanambudhicandramah ॥ 1 ॥
varnasramapratisthata srimanmuktipradayakah ।
sisyopadesanirato bhaktabhistapradayakah ॥ 2 ॥
suksmatattvarahasyajnah karyakaryaprabodhakah ।
jnanamudrancitakaras-sisyahrttapaharakah ॥ 3 ॥
parivrajasramoddharta sarvatantrasvatantradhih ।
advaitasthapanacaryassaksacchankararupabhrt ॥ 4 ॥
sanmatasthapanacaryastrayimarga prakasakah ।
vedavedantatattvajno durvadimatakhandanah ॥ 5 ॥
prasannavadanambhojah paramarthaprakasakah ॥ 6 ॥
puranasmrtisarajno nityatrpto mahanchucih ।
nityanando niratanko nissango nirmalatmakah ॥ 7 ॥
nirmamo nirahankaro visvavandyapadambujah ।
sattvapradhanassadbhavassankhyatitagunojjvalah ॥ 8 ॥
satyatma punyasilasca sankhyayogavilaksanah ॥ 9 ॥
taporasir mahatejo gunatrayavibhagavit ।
kalighnah kalakarmajnastamogunanivarakah ॥ 10 ॥
bhagavanbharatijeta saradahvanapanditah ।
dharmadharmavibhavajno laksyabhedapradarsakah ॥ 11 ॥
nadabindukalabhijno yogihrtpadmabhaskarah ।
atindriyajnananidhirnityanityavivekavan ॥ 12 ॥
cidanandascinmayatma parkayapravesakrt ।
amanusacaritradhyah ksemadayi ksamakarah ॥ 13 ॥
bhavyo bhadraprado bhuri mahima visvaranjakah ।
svaprakasassadadharo visvabandhussubhodayah ॥ 14 ॥
kailasayatrasampraptacandramauliprapujakah ॥ 15 ॥
kancyam sricakrarajakhyayantrasthapanadiksitah ।
sricakratmaka tatanka tositamba manorathah ॥ 16 ॥
caturdikcaturamnayapratisthata mahamatih ॥ 17 ॥
dvisaptati matocchetta sarvadigvijayaprabhuh ।
kasayavasanopeto bhasmoddhuḷitavigrahah ॥ 18 ॥
jnanatmakaikadandadhyah kamandalulasatkarah ।
gurubhumandalacaryo bhagavatpadasamjnakah ॥ 19 ॥
vyasasandarsanapritah rsyasrngapuresvarah ।
saundaryalaharimukhyabahustotravidhayakah ॥ 20 ॥
catussastikalabhijno brahmaraksasaposakah ।
srimanmandanamisrakhyasvambhujayasannutah ॥ 21 ॥
totakacaryasampujya padmapadarcitanghrikah ।
hastamalayogindra brahmajnanapradayakah ॥ 22 ॥
suresvarakhya sacchisya sanyasasrama dayakah ।
nrsimhabhaktassadratnagarbhaherambapujakah ॥ 23 ॥
vyakhyasimhasanadhiso jagatpujyo jagadguruh ।
iti srimacchankaracaryasarvalokaguroh param ॥ 24 ॥
namnamastottarasatam bhuktimuktiphalapradam ।
trisandhyam yah pathedbhaktya sarvankamanavapnuyat ॥
iti srimacchankaracaryastottarasatanamastotram ॥
Shri Shankaracharya Stotra of 108 Names Meaning:
1) Sri Sankaracharya, the bestower of Brahmic bliss, shines like the moon rising over the sea, dispelling ignorance.
2) He has firmly established the institution of Varanasrama. Ever engaged in instructing his disciples, he fulfills the desires of his devotees and confers liberation.
(3) A knower of profundities of wisdom, he holds chin mudra, the symbol of wisdom in his hand, and instructs the devotess about the ordained and prohibited acts.
4) An uplifter of the order of Sannyasis, he has unfettered sway over Tantric lore. An incarnation of Siva, he has established the tenets of Advaita.
5) Having initiated six modes of worship, he has shed light on the vedic path. A knower of subtleties of Vedas and Vedanta, he has refuted the doctrines of false religions.
6) Dispassionate, peaceful, serene, a navigator for the struggling souls in the samsaric sea, he illuminates the ultimate truth.
7) The unattached blemishless master, ever content, of absolute purity, having known the essence of Puranas and Smritis, is ever in untrammelled bliss.
8) He is devoid of “I”ness and “mine”ness. His lotus feet are worshipped by all. He is full of sattva. He shines with myriad qualities of head and heart.
9) He is sinless, wise and high souled. He is the bestower of eloquence. He is truthful, meritorious, and a knower of yoga and sankhya.
10) A store house of tapas; effulgent; the discriminator of sattva, rajas, and tamas; timeless, knower of timely actions, and dispeller of tamas which deludes all.
11) He is the Bhagavan who has won over Bharati, wife of Mandana Misra. He invited Sarada to stay in Sringeri. He knows the demarcations between dharma / adharma. He shows the way to realisation.
12) He is the knower of nada, bindu and kala. He shines as the sun, in the lotus hearts of the yogins. He is a strore house of supersensory knowledge. He is a discriminator of the eternal and ephemeral.
13) A reveller in pure conciousness, he knows the art of entering other’s bodies. Cast in superhuman in mould, he is a bestower of felicity. He is forgiving.
14) He confers auspiciousness. The excellent one of expansive glory, he gives joy to all. He is self luminous. He is a support to the holy. He is a universal friend and harbinger of felicity.
15) Of great fame, eloquent and a well-wisher of all, he brought Chandra-moulisvara from Kailas for worship.
16) He has installed a Sri Chakra in Kanchi and pleased with the Divine Mother by giving her earrings in the form of Sri Chakra.
17) He has authored the commentary on Vyasa’s Brahma Sutras. In four directions, he has established four great seats of learning.
18) Having uprooted false religions, he has achieved victory in all directions. Clad in ochre robe, he is smeared with ashes.
19) He has a staff of wisdom in one hand and a water pot on the other. He is a teacher of teachers, known as Bhagavatpada.
20) He rejoiced when he saw sage Vyasa. He is the ruler of Sringeri and has composed several hymns such as Soundaryalahari.
21) He is an adept in the 64 arts. He gave liberation to a brahma rakshasa. He has been extolled as the victor over Mandana Misra alias Svayambhu.
22) He is worshipped by Totakacharya. Padmapada worshipped his feet. He bestowed Brahmajnana on the doyen yogin, Hastamalaka.
23) He gave sannyasa diksha to his excellent disciple Suresvara. He is a devotee of Nrisimha. He worships Ratnagarbha Ganapati.
24) He is the world teacher, revered by all people. He has ascended the Vyakhyana Simhasana. He is Sankaracharya, the supreme teacher.