135) Question : What is meant by Pasu?
Answer : That which is bound, soul.
136) Question : By what is it bound?
Answer : By anavamala or soul’s inherent impurity or imperfection.
137) Question : What is the other name for atma which is bound by anavamala?
Answer : Anu or atom.
138) Question : Why is to so called?
Answer : Because the all-pervading nature of atma has become limited to an atom by its bondage.
139) Question : Is Atma (soul) only one or many?
Answer : The souls are numerous.
140) Question : What is the chief characteristic of Atma (soul)?
Answer : It becomes one with which it is united (like a mirror).
141) Question : How is atma related to God?
Answer : Soul is Vyappya (continued) in God.
142) Question : Does Atma emanate from God?
Answer : It does not seem to have emanated from God, because it does not possess the characteristics of God.
143) Question : Is it a punishment to Atma in being given a body?
Answer : No. It is a help like the lamp given to a person in the dark.
144) Question : How many avastas (states) has Atma?
Answer : 5 avastas or states, viz.
1. Jagra avasta (waking state)
2. Swapna avasta (dreaming state)
3. Sushupti avasta (state of dead sleep)
4. Thuiha avasta (state of the soul breathing in bodies, in which consciousness is not yet developed).
5. Thuriyathitham (the state of the soul in its original, unevolved and undeveloped state).
145) Question : Has Atma got the 3 powers, Icha sakti (will power), Gnana sakti (power of intelligence) and Kriya sakti (power of action)?
Answer : Yes.
146) Question : Who is that which enjoys the bliss which is the property of our Lord God?
Answer : Only this atma.
147) Question : Do the souls decrease in number?
Answer : No.
148) Question : How does soul live in God?
Answer : Just as fish live in water.
149) Question : What is the name for Atmabotham or soul intelligence?
Answer : Tharbotham (self knowledge).
150) Question : Is soul’s intelligence permanent or unchangeable?
Answer : No. It is not permanent as it is subject to 3 gunas.
151) Question : How does the soul know itself?
Answer : It knows itself if God makes it know.
152) Question : Why is soul imprisoned in body?
Answer : To reap the fruits of its past actions.
153) Question : How is that the souls become different objects?
Answer : By calling them as I and you and by enjoying pain or pleasure and by difference of intelligence, they appear different.
154) Question : For whom is the world created?
Answer : For souls.
155) Question : What are the 3 states of the soul?
Answer : Kevala state, Sakala avasta and Sutha state (vide Q 52).
156, 157 & 158) Question : Explain the above 3 states?
Answer : Vide question 52.
159) Question : How many orders of Atmas are there?
1. Sakalar (souls of the last order possessing all the 3 Mala Bantham, and includes all sentient beings and Devas).
2. Pralayakalar (souls with the fetters of Karma mala and Anavamala).
3. Vignanakalar (the highest of the 3 order of souls. They have only Anava mala).
160) Question : To which order do we belong?
Answer : Sakalar.
161) Question : What is Sakalar?
Answer : Souls possessing all the 3 mala banthams, and comprising all sentient beings and Devas.